Notices

New 97 RL owner in England - Trying to sort out 1st to 2nd gear noise

Old 10-18-2006, 12:09 PM
joebongo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 97 RL owner in England - Trying to sort out 1st to 2nd gear noise

Hi,

I have a 97 RL, (Honda Legend in the UK), 40,000 miles, serviced beyond the schedule, and very nice condition.

I love the car but have the noise when shifting up from 1st to 2nd at revs above 2,000rpm's. If I drive slow, then the noise doesn't appear.

It's the same problem as I have seen on this and other forums, but what I would like help with is figuring out the truth from hearsay. I would also appreciate good detailed answers as RL's are so rare in the UK that the Honda garages hate working on them as they never get to be familiar with their workings. They could only suggest a full gearbox replacement for £5,200 + labour. It's no joke either, that is what Honda charge for the gearbox in the UK.

So onto my questions:

1. Can this be fixed? Has anyone had this problem and fixed it? If so, how?

2. Have you done the method whereby you drain and refill the tranny fluid three times? Did it work?

3. Someone said it was the transmission housing, could this be the fault?

4. If I get a recon gearbox, will this problem go away? Would a supplier take it back if it had such a fault, as the gearbox works fine, just has that noise and I want rid of it.

5. Help

Many thanks,

Joe

PS: If anyone wants to trade all badges and turn their RL into a Legend, so I can turn my Legend into a RL, let me know by PM

Last edited by joebongo; 10-18-2006 at 12:11 PM.
Old 10-18-2006, 02:03 PM
t3t4delsol

automatic? gear bands might be streatched out
Old 10-20-2006, 10:44 PM
joebongo

Yes it's a standard 4 speed auto.

Are gear bands located in the gearbox by any chance? Are they expensive to look at / fix? (sorry I have little mechanical knowledge).

One company offered to recon/repair my gearbox (as opposed to a swap-out with another recon).

If there could be many different diagnoses for the same problem, would you chaps think it more sensible to get someone to look at my box as opposed to a swap out if the problem could be there in the recon unit?

Joe
Old 10-21-2006, 09:33 AM
t3t4delsol

i would check around to see who will offer you the best price, either being a tranny rebuild or a used trans, this will not be too much of a problem just dont beat the car while in 1 gear, there are large rubber bands that drive all of the gears in your tranny, they will stretch after alot of abuse and eventual break
Old 11-05-2006, 12:31 PM
joebongo

Hmm, now the guy who owned the car before me was an older gentleman, and where he lived I can imagine lots of sharp 1st to 2nd gear action, as the roads are full of idiots who really are in an angry pointless hurry to get to the next stop light.

There was a place in Essex offering a recon/bench tested box from Japan, so about 25k miles on the box, and a 2 year warranty.

He was also the cheapest. Maybe that's the one to go for.

So, can anyone tell me how big rubber bands, transmission fluid and transmission mounts fit together to cause this problem, or are these just different diagnoses of the same symptoms?

I find this fascinating that a number of people report the same problem and Honda don't seem able to diagnose or provide a fix for it!