Notices

legend 96 timing belt faulty replacement ?

Old 09-05-2006, 03:13 AM
ever

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default legend 96 timing belt faulty replacement ?

am i being screwd?
took the car for 125k miles service ; they said a timing belt replacement should be carried out /
the garage seliverd back the car with violent vibrations .
they said that the gear mount wast torn and need replacement ;
the accelaration was not right as well /
they replaced the mount and plugs /
the violent vibrations gone and the accelarations is good but there is still some background low vibrations ' it is more noticrd when stopping the car in drive and the foot is on the brake pedal or while reversing /
the garage people have behaved very suspiciously and cannot explain how they delivered the car back after the belt replacement without saying anything about the vibrations and the accelarations problems /
can someone advise ?
can it be that theey didnot do a proper belt replacement at 1st and ended up eith a very violent vibration that tore out the gear mount ' ?
and tried to cover this by returnig the car nothing said etc ?
the car is now at the garage and they are "searching " for the reason of the small vibration/
Old 09-19-2006, 12:15 PM
MTEng

I think that engine's got counter-rotating balance shafts that, if not set correctly, could have caused and still be causing the vibration.

By "gear mount" do you mean engine mount??? Kinda lost on this one..... not sure what a "gear mount" is

If it's running OK now there's a decent chance there's no permanent (internal engine) damage. You may want to drop it by your local dealer for a quick check-up... tell them the history above. They may want to charge you to check the cam timing which might mean re-doing what's been done. At least they won't be hacks like the first place you took it.....
Old 09-25-2006, 06:03 AM
ever

thanks MT,
yes it is the engine mount located under the gear box/
Apparantely [ based on an opinion of a local garage supervisor]
the cowboys at the garage improperly/ or accudently raised the engine so that all its weight endeded up on the poor old mount ' which crashed as a result /
the timimg belt job wasnt done properly as well ' that explained the bad engine performance /
they tried to cover their mischief by returning the car as reported/
the next day when they went on to fix the problems ' they raised the engine on the same jack ' but this time the weight ended on the other side flattening or damaging the front mounts /
this is where the current vibs r frome /
honda engine mounts for the legend are very expenssive' over $600 each ' with no alternative source so i decided not to pay the second $1000 bill they gave me and told them to sue me if they like
Old 09-25-2006, 06:28 AM
MTEng

I don't think they are that much ($600 each):

Look here

Yeah, find a new shop and document your case in case they call your bluff and come after you for the $1,000.
Old 10-07-2006, 10:13 AM
ever

thanks
good advise!
i'll be carefull
Old 10-07-2006, 06:22 PM
simplyredvw

Originally Posted by MTEng
I think that engine's got counter-rotating balance shafts that, if not set correctly, could have caused and still be causing the vibration.
That motor doesn't have balance shafts.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:18 AM
MTEng

Well, that certainly reduces the chance of them causing the problem, huh?

My bad :-)