Notices

86 Legend Starter not cranking...help

Old 11-28-2004, 12:56 PM
Rennie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 89 Legend Starter not cranking...help

Hello, I am planning on buying my neighbors 1989 (NOT 1986) Acura Legend V6 (A Hot Rod in 4 doors) I test drove it last week and it was a real monster to say the least; very receptive to the touch of the pedal! He left town for the Holiday this week end and tossed me the keys in case it needed to be moved (per the construction in the neighborhood...wink wink) Well I went to crank it and it was flat dead, (I noticed some wiseguy has left the lights on) I jumped it with my truck and everything lit up fine but no starter cranking, clicking or draw noticed from the lights. I took the battery out and into my garage and chargerd it overnight. I replaced the battery the next morning and once again, everything lights up fine but still no starter click, tickity-tick, turnover, fart; no noise or anything. I checked all the fuses inside and out and none checked bad. I went as far as to jump the solenoid feed wire (black w/white stripe) to the positive side of the battery in which case it did crank just fine, (but would not fire!) letting me know that the starter is not the evil child in the family.
I am fairly well adept at working with machinery. I've owned and repaired many (is this P.C. here?) American V8's and straight-6's till I blew out the L3-L4 disc in my back and had 2 surgeries includind a fusion. Our Cars sadly all went to pay the (quack) Doctors. So I am on a limited budget & since it is not yet my car.(But HOT Dog That car had some sleeper power that I wish to wake up silently, you know) And most of my knowledge base goes back to the fifties - sixties - and seventies (more to the american musclecar era) when things were much "simpler'" (No Gas or NO Fire), and I have yet to buy this car, although I really do want the beast.
Is there a lock out switch somewhere that I have overlooked, Or a relay that may have gone belly up on me. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Heck, I might even mow your lawn for you... ;-|. Please send me your thoughts and experiences. Thank you in advance. Rennie ===>
k5ren@charter.net

Last edited by Rennie; 11-28-2004 at 04:26 PM. Reason: dyslexic or something on that order...
Old 12-04-2004, 11:42 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My mom has a legend. On hers you have to disarm the alarm/killswitch before it will even crank. Is there an alarm or something you have to disarm? It sounds bizarre that it won't even crank since the battery and starter appear to be fine. The last thing to check would be the starter circuitry itself. Maybe something came loose.

I agree about the beastness of the Legend. I love driving my mom's. The ride is so smooth and the power is just waiting to be unleashed. I hope you find the problem because it is a great car.