Notices

Shift points high after JDM engine/tranny swap

Old 09-30-2004, 01:33 PM
stoporder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shift points high after JDM engine/tranny swap

I just had my 88 Legend engine & tranny swapped with a JDM engine-tranny combined unit by a local mechanic. Afterward, I noticed that the 1-2 shift point is at around 5500 rpm (way high) - the shift points are somewhat off too. The ATF was not Honda, but Mercon III.

In your opinion, is this a problem with the "new" tranny, ATF issue or a matter of some computer adjustment? Also, what is the danger of driving in this condition until it is corrected?
Old 09-30-2004, 01:45 PM
bluetwo
Relevance is irrelevant

it sounds like fun
Old 10-01-2004, 02:20 AM
Anthony
ZOMG Pew Pew Laserbeams

probably changed the gear ratios so try to shift sooner if u don't wish to rev way too high. That can be caused by the new tranny.
Old 10-01-2004, 07:23 AM
stoporder

Originally Posted by SOLDIER [X]
probably changed the gear ratios so try to shift sooner if u don't wish to rev way too high. That can be caused by the new tranny.
Further info.. the A/T throttle control cable is very slack - it's the one attached to the throttle cable at the throttle body and goes down to the tranny.
Old 10-01-2004, 03:25 PM
Anthony
ZOMG Pew Pew Laserbeams

no i meant that the new transmission may have different gear ratio's thus causing the shift points to change based on speed. Like for an LS transmission at 80 mph u might be at 3500k rpm but with a GS-R transmission you may be at 75mph on the same engine.
Old 10-02-2004, 07:09 PM
ED9man
driver

Originally Posted by stoporder
I just had my 88 Legend engine & tranny swapped with a JDM engine-tranny combined unit by a local mechanic. Afterward, I noticed that the 1-2 shift point is at around 5500 rpm (way high) - the shift points are somewhat off too. The ATF was not Honda, but Mercon III.

In your opinion, is this a problem with the "new" tranny, ATF issue or a matter of some computer adjustment? Also, what is the danger of driving in this condition until it is corrected?
use Honda ATF

5500?
Is that under WOT?
That would sound low to me.
Old 10-02-2004, 07:29 PM
stoporder

Originally Posted by SOLDIER [X]
I can force a shift somewhat by easing up on the gas at around 4000 rpm. But the tranny overall sounds like it's always running in overdrive. And thus runs hot.

More info: took it to a mechanic who adjusted the throttle cable leading to the trans, to no avail. Then took it to a trans shop, which checked this cable, plus the solenoids and could find no external problems. So... I'm getting the trans replaced on Monday under warranty. Too bad it wasn't a simple fix....