Notices

91 teg shutdown and back fire :(

Old 10-30-2012, 05:31 PM
trm4life
trm4life

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 teg shutdown and back fire :(

So yesterday I was pulling into my driveway (fortunately) and just as I rolled up the small hill, my car sputtered, died, and backfired...LOUD! Sounded like a shotgun going off under my trunk. Anyway, first think I did was get out and look for oil to be pouring out of my engine. No oil, no coolant. Small sigh of relief. Though I probably shouldn't have, I attempted to restart my car. Started. Put it in first gear, let the clutch out, rolled backwards. Shutdown! I called a couple friends, and one of them mentioned moving backwards, is definitely a timing issue, so I assumed the belt broke.

Today I took the valve cover and the top half of the timing cover off, and the belt appeared ok. Hell even the cams were still lined up (or appeared to be). However the belt was definitely loose. Ironically I replaced the timing belt about 2 years ago, so I'm assuming it must be the tensioner. New ones appear to be pretty cheap, so I'm not really worried about it.

I have a code number 3 (MAP sensor) popping up, but I think after I replace the tensioner and reset the timing I'm just going to clear the code and try to restart. I'm praying there's no serious internal damage. Even if there is I actually have another engine, but its from an automatic. Far as I know the only difference is the intake manifold (EGR).

If anyone has any advice I wouldn't complain. I'll update regularly.

Last edited by trm4life; 10-31-2012 at 04:53 PM.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:53 PM
trm4life
trm4life

Got my crankshaft pulley and timing belt off today. To be honest, if the timing did jump, it was only one tooth. Everything still appears to be lined up... The tensioner appears physically ok as does the spring. I intend to buy a new tensioner and spring. Hopefully this fixes the problem.

Last edited by trm4life; 10-31-2012 at 05:06 PM.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:18 PM
trm4life
trm4life

Well, I installed my new tensioner and spring, got my timing lined up. Restarted and no luck. Since I have another engine I'm going to try taking the distributor off that one and try again. If it's not some simple electrical problem, I'm assuming I had a serious internal mechanical failure. I'm assuming either a valve, or perhaps a smoked piston. Will update....
Old 11-19-2012, 03:57 PM
trm4life
trm4life

Turns out the problem was in the distributor. The screw holding the rotor on fell out. Lots of debris in the distributor cap, so I got a new distributor with cap and rotor (i assume) on ebay for 126 bux . Not complaining, though I did take the head off to be sure. Replaced the head gasket, cleaned my pistons,head, and intake manifold.
Hoping to restart in a couple days!