Notices

Smoking out the tailpipe

Old 09-17-2003, 05:37 AM
Q2Ggirl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoking out the tailpipe

What does it mean if my car smokes just about everytime I'm in reverse?
Old 09-17-2003, 09:37 AM
karlt10

are you certain it's coming out the exhaust? if so, my guess is it is also happening in forward when you are at about the same RPM. (the engine has no idea you're in reverse so it will smoke no matter what)

Here is an old tip that seems to still hold true- if it happens under acceleration, it is usually valve stem seals. But, if you go down a hill, left off the throttle and bog the motor a bit and it happens then, it is usually rings.

If it happens under acceleration and first thing in the morning at start-up, you likely have leaky valve stem seals. Also, don't count out that if your valves are way off on adjustment it can happen under acceleration as well.

kt
Old 09-17-2003, 10:23 AM
Daniel

Believe it or not, something else could be wrong as well, not just necessarily the engine. While that could possibly be the case, I had an instance where my axle wasn't mating to my transmission securely because the axle seal on the transmission had lost the spring ring.

The MTF fluid was leaking out and flying back onto the exhaust, which of course burned it and smoke was coming up from underneath my car. When driving, it came out of the back, because of the wind, but when parked, it came out from the sides of the car.

So, moral of the story is, if you're familiar with what to look for underneath your car, I'd check everything to see if you have fluid dripping from someplace, and can visibly locate the point of origin.

If everything's dry and tip top, then you may want to have a trusted mechanic diagnose your engine for oil leakage of a sort.
Old 09-17-2003, 12:08 PM
Q2Ggirl

The problem is really intermittent. It happens mostly in reverse. The only time it happens during drive is when the car has been sitting idle for a while, like in stop and go traffic. Any other time, it may not smoke at all and it always comes out the tailpipe.

What should I have checked? Since the problem is intermittent when I took it to the dealership, it didn't smoke at all.
Old 09-17-2003, 12:15 PM
karlt10

Two guesses- don't take the first one as an insult-

1- Make sure you're not overfilled on oil. I know it sounds goofy, but it can happen. Especially if you go to a quick change place- I did once upon a time and they put 5 quarts into a motor they 'were certain needed 5'. It didn't- it only held 4.

2- You may very well have valve stem seals that are leaking, or valves that need adjusted. The exhaust valves are towards the front of the motor, so if you are backing at a fairly quick speed you may be pulling oil into the cylinders. How do your sparkplugs look? Are they pretty blackened?

What type and weight of oil do you use? (synthetic, 5W30, etc.)

kt
Old 09-22-2003, 01:22 PM
Q2Ggirl

To answer your question. My car is burning oil out the tailpipe because I don't have an oil leak, and the oil is just about at the low mark just a little over one month after having a fresh oil change.

I just don't want to get screwed by the dealership when I have them look at it. The first time they said that they couldn't find anything wrong, but it was one of those intermittent times when it didn't smoke.

Yes, I already use 5W30.

And about the spark plugs. I'm a girl and don't have a clue where they are located under the hood. Only seen them in the box.

It's time for my 135K check, I'll have them check 'em out.

Thanks.

Any other suggestions are appreciated on the matter.
Old 09-26-2003, 10:27 AM
rsteg

what color is the smoke? black, blue or white?
spark plugs are inside the engine. pull out the spark plug wires (top of engine) and you will see them.

take your car to a trusted mechanic and compression test the engine. if there is a leak , the test will show which cylinder is bad.

it sounds like your engine is burning oil
Old 09-26-2003, 10:48 PM
twin3037

i have smoke that only comes out of my tailpipe but mines due to running rich my cars like way out of tune and with teh new texas emmisons laws i'll fail emmisions next year
Old 10-23-2003, 12:04 PM
Q2Ggirl

okay. my problem may have been solved and i wanted to post the solution.

my oil pan gasket was leaking oil on the exhaust which explains why everytime i was in reverse it smoked. over the period of time that my car sat parked, the oil collected and burned off once i would start my car.

same explaination for sitting in traffic, it would drip and collect and burn off as i drove off.