Notices

car is hesitating and bogging

Old 09-17-2003, 05:00 AM
RotaryPower88

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car is hesitating and bogging

got a 93 ls, car is hesitating and bogging when i have the accelator at a normal crusing speed. if i give it a 1\4 of more gas it will choke and sounds like no fuel is going in. i replaced the fuel filter 4 days ago with a new set of ngk v power spark plugs, i also put a new cap and rotor on.

i have been thinkin.. do i have tohave this huge fuel filter?? can i just cut the ends and get 1 of them see through fuel filters that u can use on them carburated motors. to me a fuel filter is a fuel filter, but if i can change it to be less restrictive that would be great.

thanx
Dan
Old 09-17-2003, 09:46 AM
karlt10

Are you certain you put in the same part number plugs? If they are not, get rid of them NOW!. If they are a different number, my guess is they are the wrong heat range for your engine and there is a change you are getting pre-ignition/detination. Are you down on power overall? If so, you likely are getting pre-ignition and your knock sensor is trying to reduce your timing. You can do some damage, so check it soon. If you engine is fairly stock (no big intake, no bumped-up fuel injectors & fuel pump/pressure, no huge header and open exhaust) I'd get some stock plugs in it. There is also the chance it could be something as stupid as one of your plug wires did not get back on tight, or, you may even have the firing order off.

kt
Old 09-17-2003, 10:33 AM
pomansouth

just get a fuel filter there is no way around that. they arent expensive. also replace spark plugs and waires with stock because they are the best for your money and they do the job you are asking of them.
Old 09-17-2003, 02:31 PM
RotaryPower88

poman,
i said in the post that i replaced fuel filter and plugs

karl,
they are the same plugs, i have 2.5 in exhuast, 3 in intake tube, hks style filter. header,gutted cat, and i bumpped up the timing on the distributer
Old 09-17-2003, 04:17 PM
karlt10

Well, you're the other end of the spectrum- you may just need a different heat range on your plugs. I gotta say, you may be getting some detonation. Very likely, especially with the timing bumped. What octane gas are you using?
Old 09-17-2003, 05:54 PM
UrbanFuturistic

Dont overlook needing an injector replaced. While checking the obvious small stuff can save you time and money, if after you do that and nothing works have it looked at. I had the same problem with my 944 and it needed a new #2 injector.
Old 09-17-2003, 06:33 PM
karlt10

very true- it would be a heckuva coincidence though. then again, you may have knocked a wire/plug loose on an injector.

take a look at these sites:

you'll need adobe to read these first couple: (you really need to read the first. i honestly think it is your problem- i think you need a colder plug.)
http://www.autolite.com/tech/HeatRangeFacts.pdf

http://www.autolite.com/tech/UnderstandingHeatRange.pdf

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/64378/index.html

http://www.densoiridium.com/heatranges.htm
http://www.densoiridium.com/howtoreadusedplugs.php

Have you bought most/some of your parts through 1 shop? They should give you assistance. I think someone like DC would help you.
Old 09-17-2003, 07:57 PM
pomansouth

sry i didnt catch it and it sounds as though you are detonating. back the timing off a little and see if that helps if its not to late. The gutted cat might have something to do with it too.
Old 09-17-2003, 08:15 PM
hondatech
Honda tech/eprom hackr

No you can not use a cheap see though universal fuel filter. Carborated cars run like 5-15psi fuel pressure, fuel injected hondas run about 40-48 psi.
Old 09-18-2003, 03:35 PM
RotaryPower88

i think the problem went away, im using 93 octane, i use to run 87 octane because it was cheap for the price. but im gonna start usin 93 again