Notices

Catalytic convertor (or test pipe)

Old 09-15-2003, 10:05 PM
karlt10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Catalytic convertor (or test pipe)

Hey- Anyone tried running a catalytic convertor test pipe? What about a gutted convertor?

Just wondering what kind of improvement you saw.

Thanks!
kt
Old 09-15-2003, 10:06 PM
Snoopy
been there done that

bad idea. no need to pollute the earth. :nono:
Old 09-15-2003, 11:00 PM
Epoch
CHRISTMASTIME IN IRAQ

Umm... in dyno tests, in NA setups, you'll see about 1 whp difference between test pipes and high-flow cats. You will also generally see a actual loss in torque if you gut your cat...

They (gutted cats and test pipes) sound like ass, and I can tell from 100 feet behind a ricer (on the freeway) if he's gutted his cat... it smells so bad...

Spend the money and get a cat... it's better for the environment, and your car will gain power while not smelling like ass or sound like shit.
Old 09-15-2003, 11:08 PM
karlt10

Know what you mean about sound- i stay as far away from the 'wet-fart-through-a-megaphone-sound' as possible.

What got me thinking about it is an EXCELLENT book (How to Build Honda Horsepower) where they saw 5hp at the wheels. I'm debating exhaust changes so this was a short-term play-around idea. Was actually leaning towards a high-flow cat. But the part in me that is curious wants to grab a wrench and.....

Thanks.
kt
Old 09-15-2003, 11:29 PM
JohnQPhats
LS Master

My favorite is the cars that sound like they are straight out of the Jetsons. Don't know what causes that but it sounds gay. Have you guys ever seen those whistlers? People put them in their exhaust somehow and it whistels when it drives by.......Lame.

Originally posted by karlt10
Know what you mean about sound- i stay as far away from the 'wet-fart-through-a-megaphone-sound' as possible.

What got me thinking about it is an EXCELLENT book (How to Build Honda Horsepower) where they saw 5hp at the wheels. I'm debating exhaust changes so this was a short-term play-around idea. Was actually leaning towards a high-flow cat. But the part in me that is curious wants to grab a wrench and.....

Thanks.
kt
Old 09-15-2003, 11:34 PM
Epoch
CHRISTMASTIME IN IRAQ

Originally posted by JohnQPhats
My favorite is the cars that sound like they are straight out of the Jetsons. Don't know what causes that but it sounds gay. Have you guys ever seen those whistlers? People put them in their exhaust somehow and it whistels when it drives by.......Lame.

Mwuahahaha :woowoo:
Old 09-16-2003, 06:12 AM
karlt10

Whisters? Uh, no....... does sound gay. The closest I've heard are the ones that use the extremely loud pop-off valves, and then always try to keep the revs up and bouncing off it.

When I had my exhaust done I went straight to the local custom shop and had one done- pulled the resonator, 2" pipe, mandrel (sp?) bends, and a Walker Dynomax muffler- EXCELLENT sound. Day to day not 'loud' at all, but if I step into it, it has an excellent sound. I'm an SCCA corner worker and I get to play on the track from time to time and people always have good comments.

Epoch- I love that picture. I'm trying to put the two things together- lemon-cat? fruit-cat? I dunno