Notices

Can we use older tires

Old 09-09-2003, 03:54 PM
maldini

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can we use older tires

For how long can we store our tires unused? Some people want to sell me 10yr old tires which were used for only 12,000K, so the thread should be okay.
Old 09-09-2003, 06:23 PM
96GreenCivic

Default .

Thats a good question, I wish I knew the answer.

But here is my question

I have my stock tire and steelies in the garage stacked on top one another/ all fully inflated. I plan on putting them back on in the winter. Is that the best way to store them? Should I deflate them instead?

Thanks
Old 09-09-2003, 08:01 PM
pomansouth

i dunno mine are inflated but theya re only drag tires. i think the best way is to deflate them and i think it doesnt matter how old they are as long as you be sure to get some fresh rubber and burn the old off
Old 09-12-2003, 06:45 AM
JimBlake

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I store my winter wheel/tires sets like that. I let some air out, but don't really deflate them. Maybe down to 15 or 20 psi. That way in the heat of July the pressure won't go up too high.

Stored tires - the rubber gets harder with age, they'll still work. But the harder rubber can be more slippery sometimes, and they probably won't last as many miles as if you used them 8 years ago. Inspect the sidewalls as you use them - maybe they'll start cracking before you wear them out. I'd get them, but just be aware of all this when you negotiate a price...