Notices

need help changing brake pads

Old 08-23-2003, 10:50 AM
ls_draco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help changing brake pads

Ok so I know I need some grease to put on the brake pads but what kind of grease? And where do I put the grease over?
I know I need a C-Clamp, and the grease is there anything else that I'll need to do this?
This is my 1st time changing the pads myself and wanna make sure I've got everything I need.
Old 08-23-2003, 04:48 PM
Daniel

You don't need to put grease on the pads. You'll need a c-clamp, a FAT flat-head screwdriver, sockets, socket wrench (would be good to have an impact wrench) and that's about it!

Also, read this for instructions.

https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/s...ighlight=brake
Old 08-25-2003, 11:18 AM
mickey513

You need to put the brake grease on the back of the brakes or else it's going to squeek like crazy when you apply the brakes.
Old 08-25-2003, 02:06 PM
Daniel

I've never done that, use OEM pads, and have never had a squeeling brake pads.
Old 08-25-2003, 07:07 PM
LoneStarGSR

You DO need the grease! It should be applied to the back of the pads, in between the pad and brake caliper. The high frequency vibration of the pad to the caliper is what makes the squeeling sound. If you never used grease and have no squeeling, you just got lucky. Most of the time your pads will squeel without grease.

A C-clamp is helpfull but not absolutely necessary. Once the caliper is loose, you can move it clear of the disk and then remove the pads. When you are ready to install the new pads and put the caliper back over the disk, firm hand pressure or even pressure on the inside back pad with a small peice of wood is sufficient to retract the piston....just make sure your brake resevoir cap is off. A Haynes manual is helpful, or just check around here for tips. No other special tools are needed, although a borrowed or rented torque wrench may be a safe bet.
Old 08-25-2003, 07:50 PM
drive4show

Default As to what kind of grease to use.....

.... Helms says "Apply Molykote M77 grease to the inner side of the pad shim and the back of the pads. Wipe excess grease off the shim".

Why Molykote M77 specifically? I'll leave that to someone else...
Old 08-26-2003, 05:33 PM
Tobra

That is just what they say to use. I sued the stuff that came with my axxis pads, no problems. If you plan to turn the rotors, which you should do, you will need an impact screw driver to remove the rotors and new screws (dealer item)to secure the rotors. The C clamp is very useful to compress the brake piston. The rear brake piston is threaded, and needs to be screwed back in, careful not to tear any rubber boots. If you do the back brakes, will need to adjust the parking brake after.
Old 08-26-2003, 05:48 PM
Daniel

I've owned my car for two years, never put grease on, and never squealled.
Old 08-26-2003, 08:50 PM
DVPGSR
I need sleep...

I replaced the rotors and pads at the same time. Didn't need new rotor screws, didn't use grease, never squealed. But I would put rags around your brake resevoir...I learned the hard way and spilled brake fluid all over the place.
Old 08-27-2003, 01:12 PM
gsrclan

I changed the OEM pads at 80k with axxis ultimate pads, no grease no problems. The axxis pads have anti squeal shim on the back already. I didn't turn the rotors either, no problems.
I read about that you need to clamp the brake hose and open the bleed valve while pushing in the piston, otherwise you may ruin you ABS or master cylinder because dirt may get in them. Helm doesn't call for that so I didn't do that.