Notices

Paint Scratches =(

Old 07-06-2003, 06:22 PM
IntegraPwr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint Scratches =(

I have some light paint scratches on the side of my teg and it irks me so bad everytime i see them. they're not deep but still an eyesore and i was wondering what would be the best way of getting rid of them? (kind of a dumb question but i dont know much about car care =\ ) I think the color of my car is called "Cypress Green Pearl" btw, if that matters at all.
Old 07-06-2003, 08:10 PM
b00gers

are they scratches on the paint itself? or just the clearcoat?
Old 07-06-2003, 09:12 PM
IntegraPwr

im not exactly sure. they're not very deep so i'm gonna say that its the clear coat.
Old 07-06-2003, 10:24 PM
b00gers

if they are very light...have you tried the regular scratch removers? some of them are very good.

are you talking about scratches from normal wear and tear...or did something hard like a key scratch your car? does the scratch show white?
Old 07-06-2003, 10:31 PM
b00gers

taken from another board:

Cleaners and compounds are made to remove serious paint defects, like oxidation, scratches, etc, and swirl removers are used to smooth the surface after using a cleaner/compound and to remove any swirl or scratch marks made by the cleaner/compounds. Always start with the lightest cleaner or compound, and use a stronger one only when necessary. Try any of the following:
Meguairs Dual Action cleaner/polish and Diamond Cut cleaner (Pro Body Shop), Meguiars Fine, Medium or Heavy Cut cleaners (Mirror Glaze line), or any of 3Ms or Wax Shops cleaners and compounds.

For swirl removers, there is Meguairs Swirl Free Polish (PBS) and Swirl Remover (MGL) or 3Ms swirl remover.
Old 07-07-2003, 04:56 PM
MikeR

good shot will, i use and recomend meguairs, but beware, test lightly in an unscene local. some compounds will kill the clear coat, they should state clear cote safe on the bottle, also look out for swirl marks like mentioned above, i would start with a mild cleaner/compound with minimal effort to see how that worked before i went into a body shaking rub down! also just to make sure not to waste your time, you cant see a different color under the scratch can you? i.e. primer, if so your doomed as far as buffing out the scratch, good luck
Old 07-07-2003, 07:30 PM
ChopstiX

i had a deep scratch in mine and I hate it when I see it also. The previous owner had a amp in his hand and tried to open the door but the amp slip and the corner of the amp got the car!
Old 07-08-2003, 05:59 AM
IntegraPwr

man, that sucks about the amp and your car =(. Thanks for all the help though peeps
Old 07-09-2003, 05:00 AM
MrJasey

if u use some polish or scratch remover stuff and put some on there and buff it then wax, u can probably get most of it out. mine polished up looking A LOT better.