Notices

Brake rotors

Old 07-06-2003, 03:35 PM
WhiteLitening
I'm like dis'........

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake rotors

Ok guys, i need some help. My B day is coming up, and i want to replace the factory brake rotors on my 98 GSR, because no matter what i paint them with, the damn rust keeps coming through. I want to buy all 4 rotors that are an OEM fit. My question is what is better, slotted and drilled, just drilled, just slotted, etc.? I have read a lot of stuff about both, that the drilled ones supposedly crack easy, and the slotted rotors supposedly "slice" into the pads and reduce pad life. Which type would be best for my application, my car is a daily driver with normal driving.
Racing isn't really a big deal, I rarely do it, so heavy braking doesn't really apply. Also, what are some good brands to look into? Thanks in advance.
Old 07-06-2003, 04:00 PM
3 plus 1

You're painting your factory rotors? Are you sure you're not talking about the calipers? If you're not, and you're complaining that the rotors form rust, thats because they all do. Every car in the world has it happen to them. It's unprotected metal. Its gonna rust if water gets on it. Just drive it a little and do some braking and it wears it right off. No problem.
Old 07-06-2003, 04:29 PM
stockhonda

Good brands? Brembo, willwood.
If you want actual better stopping power, go for the slotted rotors, without crossdrilling. Crossdrilling only helps in the cooling of the brakes, and actually you lose a bit of stopping power from the drilled holes(less rotor surface). Also don't forget, if you get slotted rotors, you're going to have to replace your pads more often than you have been now. If i were you, i'd go with a set of slotted rotors, and keep your stock calipers.

You say you don't really need the extra stopping power, but it couldn't hurt to have, could it?
Old 07-06-2003, 06:50 PM
90'RS

I would recommend just a set of blanks even if you go with one of the better brands. I say this because your daily driving is not going to use the full potential of any other types. Now if this is something you going to do a lot of track use with then go for something that will help with the heat that's caused during this type of driving.
Old 07-06-2003, 11:29 PM
WhiteLitening
I'm like dis'........

Originally posted by 3 plus 1
You're painting your factory rotors? Are you sure you're not talking about the calipers? If you're not, and you're complaining that the rotors form rust, thats because they all do. Every car in the world has it happen to them. It's unprotected metal. Its gonna rust if water gets on it. Just drive it a little and do some braking and it wears it right off. No problem.
I am not actually painting the braking surface, only the ring on the hub that actually attatches to the wheel.
Old 07-07-2003, 06:15 AM
DVPGSR
I need sleep...

I just put on a set of Brembo blanks and Axxis Utlimates...so far I have nothing but praise for that combo. That would be my reccomendation for you...that and to not paint the rotors.
Old 07-07-2003, 06:39 AM
Spec R

All rotors tend to rust. Its just one of those things we have to deal with. it kinda trips me out though how it does it so quickly on the brake pad contact surface after you wash your car.