Notices

CAI vs SRI

Old 06-21-2003, 09:07 PM
Co0lDood
[ATP]ATL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CAI vs SRI

Is there a big differebce between cold air intake and short ram intake.. i know suckin in cold air is much better.. cuz cold air is denser.. more oxygen... blah blah.. but is it that much of a difference? I live in houston and it does rain alot.. sometime it floods.. so i think im just gonna stick with the SRI.. what do you guys think?

Wow i just searched CAI vs SRI.... alot of discussion about it just want some opinions.. get it? or not? Im scared of floods

Oh yeah.. and my brother has driven his car in a ditch and half of his car was submerged while it was on.. under water.. hood in first. he has SRI.. and he just flushed out his engine.. and it still runs the same.. any comments on that?? i thought it was quite hillarious.. haha
Old 06-21-2003, 09:46 PM
kfar09

get cai and bypass valve if you are THAT worried about it
Old 06-21-2003, 09:57 PM
Co0lDood
[ATP]ATL

oh yeah.. anyone has pics of CAI? and where it leads .. i just wanna see it =].. i should be able to install it myself correct?
Old 06-21-2003, 10:00 PM
Snoopy
been there done that

Originally posted by Co0lDood
oh yeah.. anyone has pics of CAI? and where it leads .. i just wanna see it =].. i should be able to install it myself correct?
if you're good with a wrench and following instructions, then sure give it a shot.
Old 06-21-2003, 10:02 PM
Snoopy
been there done that

not the best shot in the world, but you get the idea
Old 06-21-2003, 10:03 PM
Co0lDood
[ATP]ATL

haha thanks.. I've installed a SRI before.. but never an CAI..is it about the same?.. I was about to order me a SRI.. but hearing all the debate over CAI vs SRI.... i want to take a shot at the CAI now..
Old 06-21-2003, 10:29 PM
Shingoblade-GSR
Hellsing Agency

Originally posted by Co0lDood
haha thanks.. I've installed a SRI before.. but never an CAI..is it about the same?.. I was about to order me a SRI.. but hearing all the debate over CAI vs SRI.... i want to take a shot at the CAI now..
What are your future goals for the car?

A CAI installation is a bit more involved; I had to remove my front bumper. If you're worried about hydrolocking, get the Comptech icebox extension plus foam drop-in filter for a few bucks more than the AEM. The filter sits in the stock location so there's virtually no chance of hydrolock (along with the rather satisfying fact that Comptech will replace your engine if it happens).

Shingo
Old 06-22-2003, 12:25 AM
Co0lDood
[ATP]ATL

hmm thanks.. i havent even seen a icebox before.. have no experiecne with it.. and i dont think anyone i know has eithor..
Old 06-22-2003, 12:56 PM
95tegRS

i had a SRi up until 2 days ago. hearing all this debate i decided to swich to CAI and find out for myself. the CAI sint nearly as loud as the SRI. with the SRI i noticed my car would start to grumble the second i stomped the pedal. since i switched over the car is much quieter. when i stomp the pedal i hear nothing until like 4k, then the grumble kicks in. but i must say the power is definelty better. the car goes alot better when its been idleing in traffic for a while.

I did the install myself. took about an hour or so. the Bottom half of the stock airbox was sorta tricky to take out. there are 3 bolts and 2 of them are hard to get at. but once they are out there was a ton of space.

as for brands I didnt get any name brand ones. I figure all a CAI is, is a pipe with a filter on it. I didnt want to spend 200 bux for a pipe, so I got a no name one from ebay (3 1/2" pipe), and got a K&N cone filter for the end of it. i didnt like the bends of the upper half of the pipe that i got, so I used my SRi upper portion of pipe, added the rubber attachment, and fit the lower half of the CAI.
Old 06-22-2003, 02:49 PM
Co0lDood
[ATP]ATL

cool... thanks alot guys.. i wanted to try out the ice box but i decided to go with the AEM CAI with an bypass valve.. I like the grumble but if CAI compared to SAI makes that much of a change.. preformance wise.. Im goin for the CAI!