Notices

98 Gsr Brake issues ?

Old 06-13-2011, 07:30 PM
gingas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Gsr Brake issues ?

Whats good everyone. Been a minute since on here. OK, about 6 months ago I ordered some eline slotted/cross drilled rotors from R1concepts. Had those installed with some posi qiet pads front/rear. Probably about few weeks went by & steering wheel start shaking like crazy as I'm braking. So I called R1concepts.
They ended up sending me another front set. The shop installed my new front rotors & pads from advance auto.
Now , my brakes doing it again.I've been browsing sites & considering some brembo slotted rotors from tire rack & some ebc greenstuff I been hearing good things about. My rear are still ok. Or should I just go with brembo blanks.
Any input would be great.
Thanks
Old 06-15-2011, 08:35 AM
JoePoonani
Lexus Tech y0!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used brembo blanks and OEM pads and never had any issues. Also if the shop over tightens the wheels they can warp the rotors.
Old 06-16-2011, 07:32 AM
GSRRacer95
Fight On!

Slotted rotors are pointless unless you are racing the car. I have been using the Same thing as Joe and I have never had a problem.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:59 PM
Tobra

You do not need slotted or drilled for street use.

ALWAYS use a torque wrench for your lug nuts. As I recall they are supposed to be 85 ft/lb. If they are too tight, or unevenly tightened, you are going to get warped rotors faster. I did this and put 170,000 miles on my GSR without any of the vibration you describe happening ever. Tell the monkeys at the tire shop to hand tighten them and watch to make sure they do it the way you tell them too. Impact wrench is okay for removal, but always hand tighten to spec.