Notices

FINALLY painted my wheels

Old 07-05-2002, 08:43 PM
95LSDOHC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Turned out pretty sweet, to bad I don't have stock rims to do that with, if I did my car would look identical to yours (teal color too)!
Old 07-05-2002, 11:22 PM
PatrickGSR94
I'm not a n00b!

Originally posted by stumpyf4
Gave the shop a target of Honda Graphite and Motegi Gunmetal without the green in it. I told them I'd like darker rather than lighter. They went pretty dark, almost a black. I'd call it graphite.

I paid $110ea (canadian funds), includes unmounting the tire, machining to fix damage, prime, paint, clearcoat, remount tire, balance with adhesive weights.

Marty.
yeah I figured that was a pro job... I did spray a bit of clearcoat on mine, but to get it all shiny I would have to wetsand it, and I'm not ABOUT to try that... I ALWAYS end up sanding too much paint off. I might spray a bit more clear on it just so it won't look SO flat, but I dunno. I surprised myself on the paint usage, it took less than one can of DupliColor graphite wheel paint to do all 4 wheels, and that is several light coats on all of them. No I did not paint the insides, I just scuffed up the outside face of the wheels, cleaned really well, stuck 3x5 cards around the edges, and commenced spraying.

TIP: you pretty much HAVE to use the 3x5 card method to mask the tire if you don't want to dismount the tire from the wheel... I could not get ANY kind of tape to stick (tried masking, duct tape, even nylon-reinforced strapping tape). I also tried slapping on some tire shine stuff and painting w/o masking at all, but the paint did not come off the tire as easily as I expected, and I ended up scraping some of the new paint off the wheels as I was removing the paint from the tire.

When you put the cards between the tire and wheel, it may seem pretty loose, but the cards will stay in place if you have the tire/wheel laying flat on the ground (if you try to stick a card in there w/ the tire upright on the car, it will fall out).
Old 07-06-2002, 07:23 AM
integramodder

Gave the shop a target of Honda Graphite and Motegi Gunmetal without the green in it. I told them I'd like darker rather than lighter. They went pretty dark, almost a black. I'd call it graphite.

I paid $110ea (canadian funds), includes unmounting the tire, machining to fix damage, prime, paint, clearcoat, remount tire, balance with adhesive weights.

Marty.
so it wasnt like a single color? the shop mixed several colors to get that...?

also, what kind of shop was this? like a rim shop? i need to get my fixed up.
Old 07-06-2002, 10:31 PM
PatrickGSR94
I'm not a n00b!

Originally posted by crucial Si
looks tight..how did you do it?
lay tire/wheel flat on ground, clean really well, scuff up w/ sandpaper, clean again, stick index cards around the edges of the wheel, and spray w/ several light coats of paint. Follow w/ a few light coats of clear if you want a bit of extra protection.
Old 07-07-2002, 04:16 AM
stumpyf4

Originally posted by integramodder

so it wasnt like a single color? the shop mixed several colors to get that...?

also, what kind of shop was this? like a rim shop? i need to get my fixed up.
Don't know how the shop did it but I'd think they tinted a off-the-shelf colour.

This shop specializes in wheel repair and also sells wheels and tires. There are a few other shop that just specialize in wheel repair in the area but they do not dismount, mount, and balance.

Marty.
Old 07-07-2002, 07:50 AM
integramodder

i need to find one of these shops...
Old 07-07-2002, 09:48 AM
PatrickGSR94
I'm not a n00b!

Don't know how the shop did it but I'd think they tinted a off-the-shelf colour.

This shop specializes in wheel repair and also sells wheels and tires. There are a few other shop that just specialize in wheel repair in the area but they do not dismount, mount, and balance.

Marty.
how do you repair a wheel w/o removing it from the tire?
Old 07-07-2002, 04:50 PM
integramodder

really depends on the location of the part being repaired.
Old 07-07-2002, 05:06 PM
ElectronBlueGSR

Hey looks very nice. I think it would look better if you painted the center cap though. Overall, it looks great. :thumbup:
Old 07-08-2002, 05:09 AM
PatrickGSR94
I'm not a n00b!

Originally posted by ElectronBlueGSR
Hey looks very nice. I think it would look better if you painted the center cap though. Overall, it looks great. :thumbup:
The center caps are not on there. I painted them awhile back but I also sprayed on clearcoat and sanded them a bit, so they are more shiny than the wheels are. I don't think it would look right. I wanted to get a set of Si "H" centercaps and put them on unpainted, but they don't fit right on GS-R wheels.

Quick Reply: FINALLY painted my wheels