Notices

turbo buildup

Old 05-20-2003, 07:50 AM
ssbluegsr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo buildup

I totalled my 99 gsr last week and I am buying back from insurance for the motor. I understand about replacing the pistons and rods for the turbo, but I don't know what the deal is with the bore and the sleeves. Do I have to bore out the motor and put stronger sleeves in? I dont want to worry about blowing up my motor if I want to run high boost
Old 05-20-2003, 09:39 AM
dubcac
I

If you want to run high boost, aftermarket sleeves are the way to go. Golden Eagle makes good stuff. You can also go with a larger bore on an aftermarket sleeve, but 84.5 mm is about as high as I would go on boost, which would make it around a 2 liter.
Old 05-20-2003, 03:03 PM
XSrcing

If you are going to be running 12 psi or less, you dont have to sleeve the block, unless you are going to be in boost all the time.

but if you want to build a high boost motor, like dubcac said, sleeving the block would be the way to go. along with Golden Eagle, Darton makes repsectable sleeves also. i'm also with dub on the max safe bore: 84.5mm.

you may know this already, but another major issue to address would be the cooling system of the car. not just the radiator, but a larger aftermarket oil cooler as well.
Old 05-21-2003, 09:29 AM
ssbluegsr

Thanks guys. So is the bore size the block or the sleeves?