Notices

Integra had hunting idel, now won't start

Old 02-07-2011, 03:53 PM
JGB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Integra had hunting idel, now won't start

HI

My 1990 Integra had a high reving, hunting idle. When I removed the intake hose and covered the FITV hole with my finger the idle would slow down and stabilize.

So I removed the FITV. The white plastic piece was not fully screwed in, so I gave it a few turns to seat it. After this the car started fine the first time and idled fine. However won't start after that, it turns over, then stops (like the timing is out and firing too soon, stopping the engine), then turns again...repeat.

I removed the FITV again and noticed that no air would pass through (since I'd screwed the plastic piece down), so I backed it out to where it was and air can now pass through (when cold). I also checked it in hot water and it seems to be working fine (blocking the air as it is warmed).

Before that I also:
-removed the IACV and cleaned it out, didn't change anything
-checked the coolant temp sending unit and it was fine

I recently checked the compression to see if the timing belt had jumped a notch, but it's normal. However when I turned the engine over without the plug wires it turns over fine (no stopping), so I suspected that maybe the timing was firing too soon, stopping the engine. I loosened the distributor and moved it to see if that would make any difference, it didn't.

Any suggestions as to what may be the problem or what I should try next?

Thanks!

Garnet
Old 02-12-2011, 03:30 PM
cruzalekz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it should be that iacv bro. otherwise, you have a big vacuum leak . you should hear it hissing though