Notices

Short Ram or CAI

Old 05-01-2003, 06:38 PM
LudeRage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't say hydrolock wasn't a problem, it's just not at all that common. Especially when you can count how many times you've seen it happen. But to be on the safe side just get a bypass valve...
I really am not all into the whole Intake hype. My feeling is, just get one, put it on, end of subject. There are better things to put your money into than a 250 dollar pipe :jerkit:
Old 05-01-2003, 08:06 PM
Evilteg

Originally posted by LudeRage
I didn't say hydrolock wasn't a problem, it's just not at all that common. Especially when you can count how many times you've seen it happen. But to be on the safe side just get a bypass valve...
I really am not all into the whole Intake hype. My feeling is, just get one, put it on, end of subject. There are better things to put your money into than a 250 dollar pipe :jerkit:
whatevea sucka, an intake on a vtec engine is a blissful mod, one of the best you can do for that engine.
Old 05-03-2003, 08:02 AM
LudeRage

Originally posted by Evilteg
whatevea sucka, an intake on a vtec engine is a blissful mod, one of the best you can do for that engine.
Yeahhh, except for perhaps....header, exhaust, turbo, supercharger, nitrous, cam gears, camshafts, and any bit of internal work, etc. etc. all of which should give more power to the wheels.

In my opinion, hyping up Intakes, of which where I live is done only by ghetto Ricers, is the quickest way to get you flamed.

Given, it's the cheapest mod for the power you get, but I would hardly call it "blissful".
Old 05-03-2003, 08:56 AM
bengeeee

I think the sound of it when vtec kicks in is dam blissful:thumbup:
But your right, the power increase is not that noticeable.
Old 05-03-2003, 09:06 AM
b00gers

i would get a CAI setup where the filter was NOT in the bumper.

i have driven with my CAI, INJEN, setup for 2 years. it never sucked up any water. i tried to avoid puddles. some people would be like me, and be fine with it.

until one storm. the winds from the previous days clogged all the drains in about a 4-5 block street. there was areas where the whole sidewalk and street was submerged. i had NO choice but to drive through a puddle.

i gassed it on the dry spots, and slapped it into neutral through the puddles. i made it fine through 3 puddles. the 4th one i wasnt so lucky.

luckily i didnt hydrolocked my car, but i was probably a few seconds away from it. i ended up with a puddle of water in the spark plug area. took about 1.5 mins for the fix.

i took the CAI out, and sold it right away. right now im running on my stock intake, i dont miss the CAI at all. just waiting for my KN dropin.
Old 05-03-2003, 09:07 AM
Shingoblade-GSR
Hellsing Agency

Yeahhh, except for perhaps....header, exhaust, turbo, supercharger, nitrous, cam gears, camshafts, and any bit of internal work, etc. etc. all of which should give more power to the wheels.

In my opinion, hyping up Intakes, of which where I live is done only by ghetto Ricers, is the quickest way to get you flamed.

Given, it's the cheapest mod for the power you get, but I would hardly call it "blissful".
Right, and buying a CAI for your JUNIII's is a waste, huh? A CAI works best when it's part of an overall system, but it's not a "waste" just by itself. The same goes for the rest of the components you listed above.

How does a header or exhaust make more power than a CAI? They make practically zero power on their own.

If the guy just wants bolt-ons, a CAI is a superior choice to a short-ram. Refer to my previous post for a breakdown of quality CAI. You can also check the DIY forum for a $50 homemade icebox setup.

Shingo
Old 05-03-2003, 04:42 PM
pnthr30

Default Thanks........

for the input guys. I think I am going to try the DIY Icebox......
Old 05-03-2003, 08:28 PM
LudeRage

Originally posted by Shingoblade-GSR
Right, and buying a CAI for your JUNIII's is a waste, huh?
Shingo, I wasn't trying to argue with you dude.
I never said a CAI was a waste at all (I agree it is a necessity and that is why I have one myself)...I merely said that spending 250 dollars or more for a hyped-up Injen "Race Division Intake System" or what not, is a waste when like you stated, an Icebox set-up just as good can be made for 50 bucks.

I am just not convinced that brands like AEM, Injen, or Comptech make a far enough superior Intake for me to spend an extra 200 for it. And that's all I really have to say about that.
Old 05-03-2003, 10:33 PM
Shingoblade-GSR
Hellsing Agency

Shingo, I wasn't trying to argue with you dude.
I never said a CAI was a waste at all (I agree it is a necessity and that is why I have one myself)...I merely said that spending 250 dollars or more for a hyped-up Injen "Race Division Intake System" or what not, is a waste when like you stated, an Icebox set-up just as good can be made for 50 bucks.

I am just not convinced that brands like AEM, Injen, or Comptech make a far enough superior Intake for me to spend an extra 200 for it. And that's all I really have to say about that.
I guess I misunderstood you then. Apologies for the argumentative post.

I agree that it may not be worth an extra 200 for just an intake, but from the dyno plots I've seen over the years, the Mugen CAI by far makes the most power out of any CAI out there. Period. Of course I'm not going to justify the $800+ pricetag, but I'm just stating that these pricey intakes *do* perform a bit differently than, say, a CAI from Arospeed. Again, this is based on dyno plots I've seen posted over the years, not on brand name or loyalty or whatnot.

For the original poster, if there isn't a $50 icebox post in the DIY forum, team-integra.net should have an equivalent article posted on their site. I also know a few HAN members have done this mod themselves.

Shingo
Old 05-04-2003, 07:25 AM
newgsrdriver

You can see decent gains from an intake. If youre staying NA, its worth the $200 to pick one up.

The thing about the $50 intakes vs. AEM/Injen, etc., the designs are obviously similar, a long pipe to the front of the fenderwell. The difference in these intakes doesnt lie in the piping or "aluminized coating," its the design of the filter. And the filter on the cheap Ebay intakes are definitely not going to be as good as the K&N or similar found on the higher end intakes. Is it worth the $150 difference to have a "funnel filter" or "velocity stack?" Thats up to you.

If I had a CAI, I would have a bypass valve. Contrary to what a lot of people say, if your filter is properly installed and properly cleaned/oiled, hydrolock will only occur when the filter is submerged. No splashes of water on a filter will make its way into your motor.

BTW, Short rams are louder than CAIs, so for those in it for the neato sound effect, get a short ram