Notices

What u think of removing power steering and A/C

Old 04-28-2003, 06:34 PM
PHiZ
BOOST GOD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if I ever considered this, I'd go for a smaller PS pulley, and ditch the AC (not on my car! the AC is worth it for me.)

I think with a smaller PS pulley, you will still have SOME PS, but you free up a little HP, or whatever.

my $.02

-PHiZ
Old 04-29-2003, 07:23 AM
Mikey_C

Originally posted by Outxider
i never really understood the whole deal wit removin ac and ps, 5hp, wow. big deal.
many people spend big bucks to gain a mere 5 hp so for those on a buget(who isnt?) it doesnt sounds like a bad idea to me, that is if u dont mind not having ac or ps
(i personally appreciate them both)
Old 04-29-2003, 07:59 AM
gsr2k

Originally posted by Mikey_C
many people spend big bucks to gain a mere 5 hp so for those on a buget(who isnt?) it doesnt sounds like a bad idea to me, that is if u dont mind not having ac or ps
(i personally appreciate them both)
Sure - and if you don't like passengers and an interior, you can strip it and save weight and therefore increase your output. There are a million low-budget things you can do for a nominal increase in power. (I'm sure everyone has seen this before: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=776885)

I think the point is that you are sacrificing two nice features for a minimal increase in horsepower. You're never going to line up against someone, blow them away and then at the next light discuss how your only mods are removing the PS and AC.

Besides, there are enough things that can go wrong with a car to make you lose 5 WHP that in the end it would all work itself out to being stock HP, and you don't have a stock car anymore.
Old 04-29-2003, 08:35 AM
aero3685

Well, I will agree that it is kinda stupid to remove p/s for 5 hp. but when I went to take out my steering rack, the last bolt stripped, so I had to just leave it, and now i have none, till i get some extra time to get that bitch off. I have a 91 accord w/lude 6.5 wide wheels, and yeah, its a bit hard to steer when at a stop, but you learn to turn your wheel back straight when you are backing up, and things like that. After 10 mph, I dont notice its gone.

But if you wanted to remove it, all it takes is to take off the belt, and see how you like it. My car ran a tad smoother after I lost it.
Old 04-30-2003, 10:52 AM
95GS-R
Um What?

My opinion... not worth it

Removing the PS belt may give you a little bump in power, but it's there for a reason. Not only does it make the car easier to maneuver at low speeds but it's sure to keep your steering rack lubricated. Once parts in there wear, it'll start to loosen up and your car will be all over the road.

Removing A/C belt. Uhhh, no. If your A/C works, leave the belt on, just keep the little switch off. There is a clutch on the A/C pulley, as long as it's off, the only loss is accelerating a rather light pulley and belt. AND you maintain the convenience of staying cool if you ever want to.

Just a thought
Old 04-30-2003, 03:15 PM
XSrcing

Originally posted by 95GS-R
My opinion... not worth it

Removing the PS belt may give you a little bump in power, but it's there for a reason. Not only does it make the car easier to maneuver at low speeds but it's sure to keep your steering rack lubricated. Once parts in there wear, it'll start to loosen up and your car will be all over the road.

Removing A/C belt. Uhhh, no. If your A/C works, leave the belt on, just keep the little switch off. There is a clutch on the A/C pulley, as long as it's off, the only loss is accelerating a rather light pulley and belt. AND you maintain the convenience of staying cool if you ever want to.

Just a thought
they are true about the power steering system. it is self lubricating; take away the lube, take away the life.

and with the a/c system, when the compressor is turned off, you are only spinning a 5-10 oz pulley.
Old 04-30-2003, 08:15 PM
bengeeee

Umm....I went to boot in florida and i can tell you. It was like 100 in the shade at times. No A/C. You have to be kidding. Get dat bitch fixed, lose the ps if you must but no A/C in Florida is a pain and a half. No girl will ever ride with you and if i were you i wouldn't ride in your car either. Just a thought. Summer will kick your ass.

Ben
Old 05-01-2003, 07:06 AM
Level_7

You will not notice 5 HP at the front wheels, assuming you actually do realize that much (most likely you'll only net 2 or 3 HP). Removing power steering and A/C are pointless since you give up too much to get almost nothing. I suggest you try a car with manual steering and see what a pain that is before you start.
Old 05-01-2003, 09:03 PM
bengeeee

I dont know if integras have rack and pinion but i have something liek it in my grand am and when the ps pump failed i had to use all my stregnth to turn the wheel with both arms going slow around corners. If this is your daily driver it is not worth it. Just my opinion.
Old 05-01-2003, 09:50 PM
b_dyche
owned by a 9 car pile-up

No PS is a bitch backing up and in parking lots... and parallel parking...

After a couple weeks you get used to it, but it's still a challenge... and a relief when you get into a car that has PS again... and AC... just don't use it if you want power... it's not worth the time to take the belts off...