Notices

Looking For Performance/Stiff Shocks???

Old 04-25-2003, 01:04 PM
taurus90djl14

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking For Performance/Stiff Shocks???

Im just looking for some opinions on different shocks that peeps have on their tegs. Im going to be redoing my suspension with coilovers and performance shocks. I have been doing some research on koni, tokico, and kyb shocks, but noone seems to have a straight answer out there. I am looking for more of a stiff ride compaired to a stock ride, does anyone have any opinions???
Old 04-25-2003, 01:15 PM
stevieteg

I have tokico's illumina's. They are 5 way adjustable. set on 1 they have a stock feels to them. Set on 5 they feel very stiff but not harsh. I have them paired up with eibach sportlines. Paid a little over $400 for them, but it's well worth it. Spend the extra money and a least get adjustables. And rear shocks on teg's are almost always impossible to get off.
Old 04-25-2003, 01:17 PM
Taiwanze7

coilovers + performance shocks? you mean "sleeved" coilovers. Full coilovers are integrated with the shocks. If you want the "sleeve" coilover combo, go with GC w/ koni adapter + koni yellows. They have a very firm ride. I would stay away from tokico blues unless you plan to match them with a stiff set of springs (not coilovers). KYB AGX are just as good as Koni's if you're on a budget.
Old 04-25-2003, 01:54 PM
Shingoblade-GSR
Hellsing Agency

Originally posted by Taiwanze7
coilovers + performance shocks? you mean "sleeved" coilovers. Full coilovers are integrated with the shocks. If you want the "sleeve" coilover combo, go with GC w/ koni adapter + koni yellows. They have a very firm ride. I would stay away from tokico blues unless you plan to match them with a stiff set of springs (not coilovers). KYB AGX are just as good as Koni's if you're on a budget.
As a GC/Koni yellow user myself, I can vouch for this setup.

Shingo
Old 04-25-2003, 01:55 PM
taurus90djl14

yes i am planning on running "sleeved" coilovers with seperate shocks. about the tokicos, are you just saying that they are to soft of shocks, even the illuminas?
Old 04-25-2003, 02:03 PM
taurus90djl14

another thing, i am planning on dropping my car 2-2.5 inches all the way around, can kyb agx, koni, or tokico shocks handle a drop that low??
Old 04-25-2003, 02:30 PM
drive4show

You might want to look at
http://www.modacar.com/Merchant2/mer...a&Carb=Integra

to get an idea of what's available.

I have suspension package #1: Tokico HP shocks and springs, with a 1.5" drop.

You want a bigger drop; there is one package listed that shows a drop of 3". [Some of the packages don't have a drop listed.]

Good luck!
Old 04-25-2003, 04:13 PM
Taiwanze7

Originally posted by taurus90djl14
yes i am planning on running "sleeved" coilovers with seperate shocks. about the tokicos, are you just saying that they are to soft of shocks, even the illuminas?
nope, its the opposite. Tokico's are very firm shocks... sleeved coilovers + tokico blue's gave a very rough bumpy ride. They are better suited w/ a set of springs which will give a smoother but very firm ride.

Originally posted by taurus90djl14
another thing, i am planning on dropping my car 2-2.5 inches all the way around, can kyb agx, koni, or tokico shocks handle a drop that low??
I remember reading that KYB AGX warranty does not cover drops over 2", otherwise they are pretty good. A few members will vouch for GC + KYB. I'm not sure about Tokico, but I know koni's will handle a lower drop fine... I had my car w/ a 2.5" drop for a short period, and it ran fine. However you'd want to consider getting a set of camber kits if you drop it >1.5". For each "1 you drop you gain -1 degree of camber.
Old 04-25-2003, 04:25 PM
newgsrdriver

If youre planning on going with a GC/Koni setup, you should really look into just spending the extra dime and going with a true coilover setup where the damper has been specifically designed to work with the springs and vice versa.

Konis are great shocks, but pricey. $500 + $329 and youre knockin on Tein SS' door.

If youre looking to adjust your ride, go with KYB/Koni/Illuminas. If not, Tokico Blues, KYB GR-2's, or Koni reds will serve your purpose just fine. Ive been running the blues for a long time, and Id say theyre pretty stiff, but do lack the adjustability if thats what youre looking for.
Old 04-25-2003, 04:29 PM
newgsrdriver

He is right as well...I believe KYB recommends using their shocks with <1.5" drop and wont warranty them otherwise. Not a big deal, I dont really know how they come up with that arbitrary # anyway, since I would imagine it differs from car to car.

Also, camber kits definitely cant be based upon the drop specified. You can *generally* say that with a 2" drop, you will have somewhere around 2deg negative camber, but that doesnt always mean you need a camber kit. Get an alignment after you install the suspension, and look at your specs. Toe should be minimal after the alignment. Drive on the tires for a while, monitor any uneven wear, and if its present, get a camber kit.

I have -2.6deg and 25k+ on my Kumhos, no camber kit and theyre still going strong. Rotate your tires frequently and in most cases, youll be fine.