Notices

hatch leakage

Old 04-18-2003, 10:58 PM
MikeR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hatch leakage

could somebody let me know whats up with hatch leakage ? i've got a 95 ls 3door that fills the spare tire compartment up when it rains? i thought it was from my euro clears not mating flush with interior so i filled with spray insulation then sealed with silicone and i still get a puddle not to mention a stinch from the settling water. please help
Old 04-18-2003, 11:09 PM
XSrcing

welcome to the wonderful world of integras. as far as i know, we havent found a solution.
Old 04-18-2003, 11:14 PM
MikeR

thats what i was afraid of ! I've had it for over 4 years and it seems that it just started within the last year or so. i work with a bunch of former acura techs and service writers and they were saying something about the hatch gasket, but it appears ok? no tears, holes or rips.
Old 04-21-2003, 10:15 PM
MikeR

anybody in there ? need help, hatch smelling like 3day old pee
Old 04-21-2003, 10:28 PM
ant6177

have you tried to trace were it is leaking from? I was thinking awhile back to take off the trunk panels and turning on the hose and seeing where the water would seap in from
Old 04-21-2003, 10:32 PM
MikeR

yea i tried that, i thought maybe it was from the wiper arm seal but no go. i took all interior out of hatch area and couldn't find it, i traced the water coming down the channel and running right over my tail lights, thats the only place i can figure (like in my earlier post) but i laid the silicone to it and still leaking,

thanx for your input
Old 04-22-2003, 10:16 AM
york2600

None of you guys have figured that one out. This one drove me nuts. I bought a 94 GSR and the first big rain the trunk and the interior filled up with like a inch of water. The guy totally screwed me. It turns out it's the sunroof. Apparently all sunroofs leak so they install a gutter around the seal and then run hoses to the front and the back. The problem in the hose design on the Integra has a the stupidest lip and as you drive around and get leaves stuck in the gutter of the sunroof which later decompose the sunroof hose clogs. Well once it's glogged the rain seems to like to go the trunk. Consider yourself lucky that it hasn't go to the interior yet. I went out in the rain and watched the water dripping from my drivers side visor. Now a Helm's manual is going to be the biggest help here, but you can do it without one. Open up the trunk. Remove the plastic covers for that give you access to the lights. Then remove the whole large plastic part that runs along the back of the car (the plastic pins are like 50cents each at Acura when you put it back). Now there are two large plastic parts on each side of the car that run all the way into the back seats. There might be some screws here, but what you need to do is pull them out partially. It's a real pain to take them out all the way, but that would be best. That would involve taking out a few bolts, and the entire back seat. That's what I did. Once you get these things pulled away you're going to notice that there's hosing behind the panelling on each side of the car. The one on the drivers side connects into a T and gets water from the power antenna motor too. Pull the hose out and there's a black part that actually connects into into the body of the car to drain. Cut the tip of this so that it wont glog up with anything more. Make sure to clean out the hoses too. Then put it all back and you shouldn't leak anymore. I'll try to get some pictures up. I took a few of how I cut the stuff etc etc. I really should make a how-to on this. It happens to a lot of people with Integras.
Old 04-22-2003, 10:25 AM
Enigma_LS

Hey mike, when mine was leaking into the spare tire well, it was because one of the little rubber gromits on the hatches back wall wasn't completely in. What i did was took out the carpet and all the panels and drove through one of those car washes and imediately found the problem, and now theres no leakage, good luck....
Old 04-22-2003, 08:15 PM
MikeR

sweet, thanx for you guys input. makes since, i put my vis rear bumper on and half way checked the drain valve in question but didn't see anything. however i didn't check the rest of the hose coming from up top, really appreciate the help guys
Old 04-22-2003, 08:53 PM
dwright406

That is really wierd, I had this problem when I got my 94 GSR. I racked my brain trying to find the source of the leak, but to no avail. I finally just drilled a few drain holes under the spare and put it all back together, now the water doesn't collect and it doesn't stink up the car. I did that about 2 years ago, I'm sure it still leaks but I really don't notice it and actually forgot about it until I read this thread. If you don't mind drilling a few holes in your floor then this seems to be a good easy solution.