Notices

Koni Yellows and Eibach sportlines

Old 06-28-2002, 09:29 AM
IntegraFreak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Koni Yellows and Eibach sportlines

I have koni yellow sport adjustable + eibach sportline 1.75" drop.

I've set my koni's to 1/4 turn from the softest setting for the smoothest ride over bumps.
I find that my car will bottom down once in awhile though. Its as if the springs aren't bouncing the car back up fast enough after hitting a change of level in the road. Would stiffer settings improve this situation or is it because of the shorter travel of the sportlines? If I put my Koni's stiffer than the ride becomes very bumpy.

Any suggestions or improving?

Anyone have this setup and what are your impressions aside from the awesome handling?
Old 06-28-2002, 09:47 AM
ALF

I have the same setup. Your bottom-out problem is due to a combination of having a lower ride height and soft shock settings. I have my shocks at 2/3 front and 1/2 rear. It's stiff, but I don't bottom out and I enjoy the car more in the turns (my main priority).
Old 06-28-2002, 10:30 AM
IntegraFreak

Thanks, I'll try those settings out this weekend.
Old 06-28-2002, 11:37 AM
PatrickGSR94
I'm not a n00b!

You should have almost 2 full turns in the range of adjustment on those shocks, so you have lots of room to experiment w/ settings. Did the springs come w/ any info as to whether you should trim the bumpstops or not? Did you trim them? My H&R Springs are supposed to have the FULL bumpstop on them, so I did not trim mine, and I haven't noticed any problems bottoming (although in all truthfulness I'm not real sure what it feels like to bottom out h: ). I always set them to full soft for long interstate trips, and my car is lowered nearly 2", but I haven't had any problems.
Old 06-30-2002, 11:23 AM
IntegraFreak

Default Adjustement

Yeah, the instructions are kinda lame, its a little two-sided sheet about 4 1/2 by 11 in. and it shows two suggested settings:

They offer two full turns of adjustability

Standard = 1 x 180 deg. turn
Sport = 1 x 360 deg. turn

I had it set at 180 and it bottomed down, Now all four are set at 360 deg and it never happens. Better cornering but you feel the bumps a little more.

BTW When you bottom down, the car hits the change of level in road and you hear a loud bang and you think you're whole engine hits the road. It sounds scary when you hear it. Happened to me 4 times so far while going 160km/h +, no visible or structural damage though.

I used Energy Suspension polyuerathane bushings.
Old 06-30-2002, 11:47 AM
DC2GSR

Hey IntegraFreak,

I have the same springs and will be putting in my yellows next weekend. I am debating whether to drop the front more, or raise the back to get rid of the seemingly "unbalanced" look. Care to tell me what you did? and perhaps post a pic???

Thanks.
Old 06-30-2002, 04:52 PM
IntegraFreak

Originally posted by DC2GSR
Hey IntegraFreak,

I have the same springs and will be putting in my yellows next weekend. I am debating whether to drop the front more, or raise the back to get rid of the seemingly "unbalanced" look. Care to tell me what you did? and perhaps post a pic???

Thanks.
If you're gonna want to drop the front more you're going to get different springs, Koni yellows are adjustable in Damper rate but not in height, you would need an adjustable coil-over. I haven't heard about the perches being adjustable on a koni yellow? Anyone else want to comment?

I don't know about "unbalanced" look you're referring to. The sportline's will give you a 1.75-2.0 in drop. On the other hand, the pro-kit from eibach gives 1.5-1.75 in drop. I find the sportline's give a wicked agressive look to my car. I will post some pictures up once I figure out how to post one on this board.
Old 06-30-2002, 05:01 PM
ALF

I thought I'd help you out with a pic. Sportlines and Yellows, mounted on highest perches front and rear:

The rear will look a bit higher than the front. Two *really tight* finger gap on the front and two *loose* finger gap on the rear. HTH
Old 06-30-2002, 05:57 PM
DC2GSR

Thanks for the pic ALF,

IntegraFreak:

Well, Eibach sportlines are notoriously known to drop the car unevenly, making the front look higher than the back. You are correct when you say that it drops the car 1.75 inches all around. However, because the back wheel well arches are actually smaller (or lower) than the front ones, it contributes to the uneven look that I was talking about.

Springs like H&R's don't create this uneven look because they are lower in the front than they are at the back. For instance, H&R race springs are 2 inches in the front and like 1.8 inches in the rear - this creates for a sharper looking car.

Cheers....
Old 06-30-2002, 08:16 PM
PatrickGSR94
I'm not a n00b!

Originally posted by IntegraFreak

If you're gonna want to drop the front more you're going to get different springs, Koni yellows are adjustable in Damper rate but not in height, you would need an adjustable coil-over. I haven't heard about the perches being adjustable on a koni yellow? Anyone else want to comment?

I don't know about "unbalanced" look you're referring to. The sportline's will give you a 1.75-2.0 in drop. On the other hand, the pro-kit from eibach gives 1.5-1.75 in drop. I find the sportline's give a wicked agressive look to my car. I will post some pictures up once I figure out how to post one on this board.
Koni Sport shocks have several slots on the shock body which give you a choice of perch heights. The front shocks can be set at stock or 1" lower (2 slots), and the rear shocks can be set at stock, 5/8" higher, or 5/8" lower (3 slots).

The Pro-Kit springs will lower MAYBE 1.5" after settling, but probably not more than that.

My car sat higher in back on stock suspension (physically higher, there was more fender gap in back). After installing my H&R Sport springs (1.75/1.5), the back still sat higher. I pulled my rear Koni shocks and put the perch on the lowest level, and so now after settling I'm probably about ~2" lower all around.

Quick Reply: Koni Yellows and Eibach sportlines