Notices

RUST QUESTIONS - please help!

Old 04-11-2003, 08:20 PM
Amirked

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RUST QUESTIONS - please help!

Hey guys .. i'm new here in fact I've only owned an integra for the last two weeks .. here's the scoop .. its a 95 LS black etc etc 73,000 and i picked it up for 7 g's .. (compared to the other vehicles in this area that price was great for the mileage) UNFORTUNATELY its has two rust spots (one on each rear quarter panel right where the wheelwell meets the bumper) - my last car was a 91 camry and it was a rust bucket and I'd hate to see that happen to this one .. (i know that rust never sleeps but i'm going to try to slow it down) I live in minnesota and the salt just eats these things. Has anyone had previous experience with a professional body shop repairing rust? any estimates on price and how long did that last? additionally .. these spots are really small . i know other integras rust there too .. for those of you who just left it, if i just wax it and keep it garaged how long do you think i have till it gets really ugly? any other commets are greatly appreciated. . thanks
Old 04-11-2003, 08:37 PM
Sapuni

You should get this fixed right away at a body shop before it gets worse. I own a 96 integra and I had it since new and it was only a year ago that a friend of mine told me that all hondas and acuras come this stupid rubber strip inside the wheel well that should be removed and wheel well should be professionally repainted.

When I removed it, I found some rust just starting to form. My friend told me that if I had taken that rubber strip off on both rear sides when the car was new it not have started to rust because the rubber strip keeps the moisture trapped inside. Honda Motor Company is to blame for this by causing hondas and acuras to prematurely rust unessecerely. Those rubber strips should never have been put there in the first place.

Get your car to a body shop, have them remove the rubber strip, remove all the rust and paint the rear quarter panels over again.

By the way, don't forget to rust proof it afterwards. And the cost would be at least 500 Us dollars to have a good quality job. For 1500 Us you could do the whole car but be careful where you take it because some autobody shops do shitty work. Either way. it depends how long you are planning to keep the car.
Old 04-11-2003, 09:21 PM
Amirked

thnx for the info .. i also noticed that the integras have the plastic on the stock "sideskirts" or whatever they are called . .would you think this has the same tendency to trap moisture? i'm going to get it to a body shop asap .. i've been looking for information but i haven't really found any . . i guess what i've found out is that i need to find a place that will mig weld a replacement chunk on both sides and then paint it and i'll have the best luck ..
Old 04-12-2003, 09:58 PM
Sapuni

Welding a new piece, for sure will be your best option. That way the rust will not come back. As for the sideskirts. if you are talking about the ones in the front where the fenders meet the front bumper, those ones you don't need to worry. I have never seen a rust problem there.