Notices

ignition timing

Old 07-14-2010, 05:49 PM
joe_kewl81

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ignition timing

So for the sake of being just right, Ive recently decide to adjust my ignition timing. Ive been messing with it for some time to try to get rid of this "cough" my car was having. Spark plugs, cap, rotor and wires are all new.

I did find a couple problems...A loose distributor rotor (replaced), which ironically was quite new, and VERY poorly welded exhaust. Now Ive replaced my exhaust, things are A LOT better but unfortunately I wasn't able to get the old O2 sensor out of the other mani, and I'm just running with it disconnected.

When I was adjusting my distributor, the timing marks only got CLOSE to the mark on the cover when the timing was FULLY RETARDED. I have to admit it ran fine at operating temp, but I certainly can't retard the timing any more. Any thoughts?

Will the O2 sensor affect my reading??

Also it's an auto body with a manual engine...I'm able to change from park to drive, etc (long story) and it changes the timing...I did the test in neutral and park and got the same reading, in drive it was further away. (obviously)
Old 07-14-2010, 09:23 PM
Spec R

set it with a timing gun. thats it
Old 07-16-2010, 07:37 PM
Lynxs1981

Originally Posted by joe_kewl81
Will the O2 sensor affect my reading??
If you disconnected the main O2, then yes. That will affect timing on top of other things.
Old 07-29-2010, 11:31 AM
joe_kewl81

installed a new o2 sensor. I have to admit she fires right up now compared to the way is was before...depending on temps. My gas mileage is great around 26-27 in town, around 33 mpg highway as high as 38 if i keep it under 65mph. So I assume the timing is ok, but the marks still dont line up...