Notices

Start problem-not hot start

Old 06-08-2010, 04:54 PM
JGB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Start problem-not hot start

Hi, I'm having a starting problem. Engine turns over but won't start (at any time, have fixed hot start problem in past, this is different), sounds very 'flat'. This is after leaving the car sitting for a couple of days.

So far:
-checked the main relay; relay is clicking, fuel pump (sounds like it's coming from the engine compartment) is humming, check engine light goes out after a couple of seconds.
-checked for spark, is there on all cylinders.
-connected timing light to check coil strength (maybe Mickey Mouse, but I read weak batteries will turn engine and create spark, but won't produce enough to signal timing light flash).
-battery is reading 11.75V after charge. Seems low, but is turning engine over fine.
-checked for gas when I removed spark plugs, little to very little smell of gas.

Could be:
-the battery, since it happened after sitting and it's reading low. Tried jumping (using Miata-small battery) and didn't help.
-the coil, although seems strange that it would go after sitting, but I guess they can go at any time.
-low pressure fuel pump in gas tank?

Will try:
-getting another battery and seeing if that makes any difference.
-remove coil and check primary and secondary circuits.
-is there a simple way I can check the low pressure fuel pump?

Any other ideas or leads?

Thanks!

Last edited by JGB; 06-08-2010 at 06:26 PM.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:09 PM
JGB

Posting the result in case it helps anyone else.

Charged battery fully and car started. Strange since it would turn the car over all day. I've had cars that would barely turn over but the motor would catch. This has the narrow tipped spark plugs, so they might require more charge.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:54 AM
cruzalekz

slow cranking was not enough to produce good signals for the crank and cam sensors thereby affecting startup.