Notices

Head Gasket Leak...

Old 03-09-2003, 04:12 AM
NVS
That's Mr.NVS to you!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head Gasket Leak...

I just put $500 deposit on a '92 Integra. I won't be able to drive it home until this coming Saturday because the owner needs to get it Maryland inspected, and because she's gonna go to Midas to inspect and clean her engine and muffler.
When I took the car for a test drive, there was a noise that got louder depending on how fast you go. It was from the engine bay somewhere. It kinda sounded like someone sticking a piece of paper in a fan.
When I returned the car, I popped up the hood to take a look at the engine. The head gasket was leaking some oil. She says that she hasn't driven the car since probably October because she bought new Honda Accord. Could it be leaking because it's just been sitting there for a long time since it's last use? Is it easy to fix, and how much would it cost to fix?
Old 03-09-2003, 09:55 AM
tilt

clean it up and pinpoint exactly where it's leaking. could just be a cam seal leak. Headgasket replacement is mostly labor, so if you do it yourself it will only cost the gasket price and some tools to pull the head.
Old 03-10-2003, 04:36 AM
90'RS

I used to live in md and I know that they will not pass a car on its inspection if the head gasket is leaking. So if that's the case your o.k. because midas will have to fix it to pass it. If not the head gasket the cam seal is a common leak on these cars but is very easy and cheap to fix.
Old 03-10-2003, 05:33 AM
NVS
That's Mr.NVS to you!

Default How Much

How much would head gaskets cost and where would you get one if you were to DIY?
Old 03-10-2003, 10:11 AM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Seeing a little oil oozing out the edges of the motor is not seeing the headgasket. Are you talking about the valve cover gasket?
Old 03-10-2003, 11:24 AM
NVS
That's Mr.NVS to you!

I'm a super beginer at cars and don't hardly know what the heck I'm even talking about.

When you open the hood and you look at the engine, The top of it may say like "Honda Vtec 24-valve" or somethin. The oil is leaking out the crack in the front. Correct my errors, I'm new to this. It's leaking where the red meets the silver above the header. (or what I think is the header)

Just for the record, this isn't my engine.
Old 03-10-2003, 01:37 PM
Daniel

That's not your head gasket, that's your valve cover gasket. Much easier to replace and definitely a DIY project. I'd check to see if the valve cover is torqued down correctly. If so, just go buy you a new one from this link: http://www.ahmotor.com/product/ahmcat1vcg.html. Unbolt the valve cover, remove the rubber gasket, line the head (not valve cover) with Hondabond (which you can buy here: http://www.ahmotor.com/product/ahmcat1mt.html), put the new gasket on the head, mount the valve cover, and torque it back down!