Notices

Water in Integra headlights

Old 11-23-2009, 06:43 AM
themonsteraria
Boats n hoes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Water in Integra headlights

Hey. My friends Integra has water on the passenger side headlights. They're all fogged up. Anyone know how to fix this, other then replacing the entire headlight assembly? :thinking:
Old 11-23-2009, 01:47 PM
JoePoonani
Lexus Tech y0!!

You'll have to pull the lamp and bake them in an oven for a little to get the glue around the lens soft enough to pull the lens off and re-seal it. OR, you can just drill small holes on the bottom of the lens so the water and condensation can drain and vent out more freely.
Old 11-23-2009, 02:42 PM
themonsteraria
Boats n hoes

Originally Posted by JoePoonani
You'll have to pull the lamp and bake them in an oven for a little to get the glue around the lens soft enough to pull the lens off and re-seal it. OR, you can just drill small holes on the bottom of the lens so the water and condensation can drain and vent out more freely.
I'm not opposed to baking them, but is the drilling as effective as the baking?
Thanks.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:42 AM
JoePoonani
Lexus Tech y0!!

Originally Posted by themonsteraria
I'm not opposed to baking them, but is the drilling as effective as the baking?
Thanks.
Drilling will only let the condensation vent and drain out. Re-sealing them is the non-ghetto fix.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:13 PM
Spec R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check the rubber seals where u put the bulbs in. sometimes its just those big circular seals that get unseated over time.

a temporary fix to get the moisture out is silica gel packets.
Old 11-24-2009, 06:23 PM
themonsteraria
Boats n hoes

OK. I'll check the seals, and then if needed heat and reglue. Will I need to apply new glue? And if so what type of glue? Or just heat and the existing glue will do the job?
Thanks .
Old 12-31-2009, 10:05 AM
mrhonda_187

My passenger side is fogged as well. My high beam was fogged, but a vaccuum cleaner set to "blow" mode fixed that up real quick. Tried that method on the driving light, but it didn't work. I think the projector beam thingy is blocking the airflow. Jammed a nylon stocking full of rice in the hole over-night, and it's still just as bad. There has to be an easier way to fix this than ripping shit apart, drilling holes & baking things... I'm going to try heating the front side with a hair blower (with the bulb out of course).
Old 12-31-2009, 05:22 PM
themonsteraria
Boats n hoes

Originally Posted by mrhonda_187
My passenger side is fogged as well. My high beam was fogged, but a vaccuum cleaner set to "blow" mode fixed that up real quick. Tried that method on the driving light, but it didn't work. I think the projector beam thingy is blocking the airflow. Jammed a nylon stocking full of rice in the hole over-night, and it's still just as bad. There has to be an easier way to fix this than ripping shit apart, drilling holes & baking things... I'm going to try heating the front side with a hair blower (with the bulb out of course).
I don't know about blow dryers and such, but I can say that it's worth it to do the work, and do it the right way. It worked for me, and only took about 2 hours.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:33 AM
mrhonda_187

Well, it's done, and it worked. I propped up the hair blower in front of the lense, and left it for about 15 minutes. This cleared the condensation from the inside of the housing, but... moved it to the inner side of the projector lens. I brought back the vacuum and set it to blow through a small nozzle; into the bulb hole. I left this for another few minutes, and to my surprise, it was slowly clearing! I ran the hair blower & vacuum at the same time for another 1/2 hour or so, and it's all nice and clear.

I don't doubt that taking it apart is the proper way to do it, but when it's this freakin' cold, (and we all have family things going on), I don't feel like hanging out in my garage.

Thanks all & Happy New Years!
Old 01-07-2010, 05:34 PM
XSrcing

It is a common problem. You can reseal them, but more than half the time, the problem will happen again. I resealed mine twice then said eff it and drilled two 1/32" holes on the bottom at the back of the housings. Never had the problem again.