Notices

Which Rear Sway bar???

Old 06-24-2002, 03:50 AM
H-carWizard
FKN-DING

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been looking at the Eibach front & rear sway bar kit.

I agree with Sutrusu that OEM is probably best (Type R bar), but before I ordered anything I would want all the details on installation.

Sutrusu: You have the Type R Sway Bar, can you enlighten us as to the total costs involved? What "other parts" did you need, and what kind of labor are we looking at?

Phil
Old 06-24-2002, 06:10 AM
ALF

The grand total from http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.net for all the required parts was $97.02 which included new endlink bushing collars that are re-usable from the stock bar. All you need after that would be either the BSQ kit or the Beaks kit.

Get the rear swaybar and parts from:
http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.net (for easy online ordering)
http://www.ahmotor.com (slightly more expensive, but you can call in)

Get the reinforcement kits from:
http://www.geocities.com/bretq/mounting_kit.html (installation pictures and all required part numbers in the site)
http://www.beaksproducts.com (also offers a COMPLETE ITR rear swaybar kit ready to install)

Last edited by ALF; 06-24-2002 at 06:13 AM.
Old 06-24-2002, 10:02 AM
clemsongsr

still the ITR bar ran 175 from Beaks with all the required hardware which is just as expensive if not more so than the others.
Old 06-24-2002, 11:41 AM
ALF

That's where the BSQ kit comes in. It's only $20. For that all you get is a hunk of steel and some spacers, but it does its job...which is to reinforce the subframe.

The Beaks kit is for people who demand a higher quality kit...and it goes for $65. You get a better product with the Beaks kit (aluminum plates [four to reinforce both sides] and zinc-plated bolts and washers) and for that you will definitely pay.

Last edited by ALF; 06-24-2002 at 12:25 PM.
Old 06-24-2002, 04:10 PM
clemsongsr

Hell, I may go for replacing both the front and rear sway bars.

I've been looking around and Eibach and Sus. Tech have become possibilities. As for the eibachs they are 27mm/21mm. Do they have polyurethane bushings, articles have not mentioned that on the eibachs. Also the eibach has an adjustable rear bar. I dont like the idea of it being adjustable, shouldnt you go for a non-adjustable bar?

As for the Sus. Tech's sway bars. The kit is cheap (235 at nopi) and for the most part I've heard positive comments on their sway bar kit.
Old 06-24-2002, 04:57 PM
Weston

I think the Skunk2 bar is 19mm, and I've heard about people getting sub frame tear out from it. I plan to get the ITR bar w/BSQ kit...
Old 06-24-2002, 05:47 PM
antarius
Large Member

Dont we need other stuff to put on a front sway bar too though?
(lower control arms?)
Old 06-24-2002, 06:28 PM
ALF

Originally posted by clemsongsr
As for the eibachs they are 27mm/21mm.
Getting a 27mm front swaybar would defeat the purpose of getting a larger rear swaybar. The stock GS-R front swaybar is already a hefty 24mm and you are getting a large amount of understeer from that in stock form. A rear swaybar is all you will need and want since you want to induce more oversteer. If anything, you can put a pair of $12.00 polyurethane front swaybar bushings if you feel the rear is too planted (which I seriously doubt you would want to do).
Old 06-24-2002, 08:36 PM
H-carWizard
FKN-DING

anyone have the Honda part numbers for the complete Type R rear sway kit? (bar, and mounting equipment)

Phil
Old 06-25-2002, 03:34 AM
BSQ

Originally posted by ALF
That's where the BSQ kit comes in. It's only $20. For that all you get is a hunk of steel and some spacers, but it does its job...which is to reinforce the subframe.

The Beaks kit is for people who demand a higher quality kit...and it goes for $65. You get a better product with the Beaks kit (aluminum plates [four to reinforce both sides] and zinc-plated bolts and washers) and for that you will definitely pay.
Not to knock on ALF, but I personally wouldn't say that the Beaks kit is a "better product". The reason that I say that is because both kits (BSQ and Beaks) serve the same purpose ... that is ... to reinforce the suspension subframe and to provide a flat surface to mount the Type-R rear swaybar.

A little background history:

I developed the first Type-R rear swaybar mounting/reinforcement kit 4+ years ago (April '98) for use on my own car. Shortly after installing the Type-R rear swaybar on my own car, I wrote up installation instructions (Word document - no photos) for other Honda/Acura owner that might be interested in a larger rear swaybar. After several months of distributing the installation instructions, it was suggested that I place my installation instructions with photos on a website. So with a little bit of time and effort I created a website and I placed the installation instructions (with photos) there. Several more months past and a lot of people were starting to use the Type-R rear swaybar installation instructions. Then by the winter of '99 I was starting to get a lot of inquiries about whether or not I might start selling my mounting kit for the Type-R rear swaybar. So after a few months of researching, surveying and pondering on the idea of selling a mounting kit, I finally decided to start selling (Feb. '00) my "BSQ mounting kit".

About 6-9 months later Beaks came out with his "first generation" mounting kit. This kit was comprised of a large steel plate which connected to the subframe and used the LCA bolt for support. A few months later Beaks came out with his "second generation" mounting kit (current mounting kit) which uses a 2-piece design and is made from aluminum.

Since that time, there have been several discussions/debates into which mounting kit (BSQ vs. Beaks) is "better". One particular debate was rather heated and long in duration . And by the end of the heated debate a true winner was NOT really declared. Since then, it has been determined that both kit perform exactly as designed ... which is ... to reinforce the suspension subframe and to provide a flat surface to mount the Type-R rear swaybar. Neither mounting kit has had any reported problems and you really can't go wrong with either one. So it really comes down to personal preference when deciding on a mounting kit.

So based on this information, I'm not sure I would call either kit "better".

Good day

Quick Reply: Which Rear Sway bar???