Notices

CV joints on a 91?

Old 02-04-2003, 05:34 AM
bbbradley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CV joints on a 91?

My 91 Integra is making a pronounced *clunk* when accelerating with the wheel turned. I am assuming this is the CV joints going?

How hard of a job is this for a DIYer? What is the best shop manual or online guide to help with this job? Should I replace both sides at the same time, I only hear clunking from one side. If it is overly difficult, any ballpark idea what a mechanic would charge for the job? TIA.

/bill
Old 02-04-2003, 09:02 AM
g2tegls
MR, ftw

I haven't done it but it will probably cost about $150 from the dealer to have just the boot replaced and packed with grease. This will probably solve the problem. The best shop manual is the factory service manual by Helm (www.helminc.com) and sells for about $50. Hope this helps a little.

Ben
Old 02-04-2003, 09:07 AM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

The best shop manual is the Helms manual.

If the joint itself is still intact and the noise is from lack of grease due to a split boot, then you can get away with replacing just the boot. If the joint is shot, it's best to replace the entire axle.

Generally you should do both sides at the same time as a precautionary measure. It should be less than $100 to pay a shop to do both the boots, usually places like Meineke, Midas etc will have some kind of deal going.
Old 02-05-2003, 02:35 AM
bbbradley

Thanks for the info...upon consulting a Helms manual, I think I might just pay someone to do this for me. No garage + Boston winter = working on your car is a PITA!

/bill