Notices

Bad o2 sensor?

Old 01-28-2003, 10:34 PM
dualstage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad o2 sensor?

when i went down to the local muffler shop to get a carsound hi flow cat , they were installing it and they were going to put the o2 bung in because i have a 98 gsr but they said my o2 sensor was stripped or something, how could I get it in or do I have to buy a new one? where could i get one for cheap? also could the o2 sensor be bad since it has been just hangin their outside? thanks in advance
Old 01-29-2003, 03:45 AM
jeff

when you say it was just hanging there do yoy literally mean it was hanging, hitting rocks and speedbumps??? if so, i guatantee its shot. At this point you dont want to use your old one, go for a new one. For Bosch o2 sensors, on a gsr theyre probably a couple hundred bucks, but for a universal one, you will get it for $80-$100. But remember, when you but the universal one, you will have to cut the wires yourself, because most of the time they dont come with the plug that goes to your car.
Old 01-29-2003, 12:58 PM
dualstage

hanging there meaning just hanging above the cat, its not that low to hit the floor, but still it probably hits stuff.
Old 01-29-2003, 02:06 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

They probably stripped the threads off the sensor which means that it's no longer possible to screw it into a bunger.

If you've had a bunch of road grime and stuff get kicked up on the underside of the car, it could definitely have fouled the sensor.

You can get a Bosch "universal" sensor from most auto parts stores for about 60 bucks.
Old 01-29-2003, 03:04 PM
dualstage

alright ill just go to the local muffler shop and see how much for everything, also a question about the header, i got a pretty bad dent in my dc jdm 4-1 header, a mechanic that was under my car said i have about a millimeter more before it goes through, is this hurting performance greatly? also i have that header with a 2.5" car sound cat then it goes to the greddy evo cat back 2.25, i bought a shortened b pipe from a greddy to fit the header but the car still makes a annoying buzzing sound when i hit vtec then all the way through, its like bees and also a fartcan, i know the fartcan because of the gradual decrease size through piping. thanks again