Notices

Comptech / performance

Old 01-23-2003, 11:09 AM
TriDawg
Action Packed Snacks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Comptech / performance

I want to spoil my new teg. So Im looking around for the best parts as far as quality & reliability.. So far things are looking good towards Comptech...

I would like your views on my choice ...

First things first, going to throw on :

Comptech Intake w/icebox
Comptech Header
Comptech Exhaust

Now with this I/H/E combo on my GSR.. How much will I gain? (whp)

What does a Stock GSR dyno at compared to one with these mods...?

I know a few members have these same setups thats why I am asking ... Thanks Guys ..

-Chad
Old 01-23-2003, 12:07 PM
spongybandaids

I'm also looking at going for the comptech setup...so far i've got the intake and ice box...havn't installed it yet....

you should do a search on this...i believe Shingo wrote up an article on it and it was very informative
Old 01-23-2003, 01:50 PM
Shingoblade-GSR
Hellsing Agency

Originally posted by spongybandaids
I'm also looking at going for the comptech setup...so far i've got the intake and ice box...havn't installed it yet....

you should do a search on this...i believe Shingo wrote up an article on it and it was very informative
Hello!

My post/review about the Comptech I/H/E is located in the archives; either page 1 or page 2. My advice is to get the cheaper MIG-welded 4-2-1 header (versus the TIG, performance difference is virtually nil) as well as skip the polished intake and just get the foam filter + ice box. You'll perform the same and save a couple hundred dollars or so.

Bottom line: the Comptech setup is great if you plan to do light mods (eg. ITR cams) or stick only to simple bolt-ons (Comptech uses 2.25" piping + stock diameter header collector if I'm not mistaken). Comptech claims 15-20 whp on an otherwise stock GSR and even has a slick dyno chart online, but I'm not so sure about the validity of their claims. You're more likely to see 5-10 whp, with 15-20 whp definitely possible if you combine the Comptech I/H/E with a hi-flo cat.

I'm sure you already know the pros of the Comptech I/H/E (you can read my archived post for more) so I'll cover some of the cons.

Cons:

1) Construction Quality of the Icebox lid/airbox
The header is very high quality and looks beautiful. Same goes for the exhaust. The airbox for the intake/icebox system, however, looks like it was made in a toy factory and cobbled together in a hurry. I only say this because of my experience when cleaning the foam filter (another possible con; reusable filter = periodic cleaning + oiling). I had trouble getting the lid of the airbox off, I had trouble removing the foam filter, and I had even greater trouble trying to fit everything back together again. I'm comparing this to how easy it was for me to replace my air filter back when my car was stock.

2) Cabin drone at Highway cruising speed
The comptech I/H and specifically exhaust sound great while doing HPDE's, autocross, and generally cruising down the street. Nice low bassy grumble that's non-intrusive but definitely says, "hey, I mean business". However, I do a considerable amount of daily driving to work, and there is quite a bit of cabin drone at freeway speeds. It can get annoying, but it's not loud enough to impede conversation. Plus, I'm sure 90% of the aftermarket exhausts out there have the same problem. Comptech offers a silencer for their exhausts now but IMO if you want a quiet aftermarket exhaust I would suggest the Mugen twinloop (I almost certain it's 2.25" as well). Much more expensive, but perfect if you don't want to attract any attention whatsoever.

Let me know if you have any other questions

Shingo
Old 01-23-2003, 01:52 PM
Shingoblade-GSR
Hellsing Agency

Hrm, looks like the moderators removed the archives

However, my post is still searchable:

https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/s...tech+I%2FH%2FE

Link to Comptech's dyno chart (take it with a grain of salt):

http://www.comptechusa.com/images/dy...sr_ice_box.pdf

Shingo
Old 01-23-2003, 05:54 PM
ur31337
Colby

Good job Shingo
Old 01-23-2003, 06:46 PM
TriDawg
Action Packed Snacks

Thank you VERY much for that informative reply. I actually do want to keep my new car's setup on the downlow as far as sound is concerned. So Ill be looking into that exhaust you had mentioned.. although I most likely will be picking up the Comtech I/H in the very near future.

For me personally the GSR is fast enough to suit any of my needs.. but it will be nice to know that Ill have a jump on any other joe that may have a stock GSR putting around town ...

Again thank you for you reply!

-Chad
Old 01-23-2003, 08:08 PM
timmy8151

Shingoblade-GSR,

Good info. I've decided that I'm going to go with Comptech's MIG welded 4-2-1 and the Icebox too. I already have an ITR catback so, I wont be getting their exhaust. Just want to know where you bought your Comptech stuff at. Cheapest places I've found were either Modacar or Diablo Motor Sports. I can drive to both places and save on shipping.
Old 01-23-2003, 08:13 PM
DB7 2.0
Banned

i know someone with a Comptech header for sale if anyones interested... near MINT condition.
Old 01-23-2003, 09:42 PM
reddog

Originally posted by timmy8151

Good info. I've decided that I'm going to go with Comptech's MIG welded 4-2-1 and the Icebox too. I already have an ITR catback so, I wont be getting their exhaust. Just want to know where you bought your Comptech stuff at. Cheapest places I've found were either Modacar or Diablo Motor Sports. I can drive to both places and save on shipping.
I know www.autocarparts.com has the MIG welded header for a GSR at $407.21 shipped, and they don't charge tax to CA , so its a bit cheaper than Diablo or Modacar, but you'll have to wait a while for shipping. I'm not sure if the Intake is any cheaper though.
Old 01-24-2003, 09:25 AM
Shingoblade-GSR
Hellsing Agency

I got most of my parts/work done at Diablo; I've heard plenty of negative experiences with modacar but I can't much more since they're a sponsor of the board Talk to Mike @ Diablo; he knows his stuff.

Shingo