Notices

timing issues head/jumped timing help

Old 04-06-2009, 11:45 AM
2ltrEGhatch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default timing issues head/jumped timing help

hey guys.. im looking for a how to on putting a b18c1 head back in time... my friends head jumped time..hopefully no bent valves... just wondering what i need to look up to get this fixed for him... cause he's broke as hell
Old 04-06-2009, 06:39 PM
Lynxs1981

Best way; pull the valve and timing covers, crank pully, the belt, line up all the markson the camgears(arrow/"up" pointing up) and the crank gear with the mark on the oil pump and reinstall the belt. Be sure to retorque the crank pulley bolt.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:15 AM
pslsnakes
F#%K JDM, USDM FTW

And while you're in there, put the cylinders to TDC and do a leak down test to insure no bent valves.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:52 AM
Lynxs1981

Yes, also perform a leak down test as psl mentioned. If he was driving it at the time, it likely has some damage.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:42 AM
pslsnakes
F#%K JDM, USDM FTW

Originally Posted by Lynxs1981
Yes, also perform a leak down test as psl mentioned. If he was driving it at the time, it likely has some damage.
It may be fine.. depending on how much it jumped and how hard he drove it.

My exhaust cam jumped a tooth ahead and I was beating the crap out of the car because I didn't know it jumped timing. We did a leak down and no bent valves. 220 across the board.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:59 PM
cruzalekz

leak down is not really reliable specially if your timing is off.
there should be some leakage there since, well, timing is off and you do a leakdown at tdc with the intake and exhaust valves closed right? my recommendation to you, put no1 at tdc, put the pin punches on the camshaft holes, carefully slide out the timing belt off the cam sprockets, move the sprocket a bit (the one thats out) and put the timing belt back on and reccheck your timing. If the belt is loose, just loosen the tensioner bolt, adjust the tension and retighten the tensioner bolt again.

once done, do a compression test and that should determine if your valves in a certain cylinder is not sealing/bent.
if a cylinder has low compression, and you want to pinpoint what is bent, then you do the cylinder leakage test.

Last edited by cruzalekz; 04-08-2009 at 04:01 PM.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:21 PM
pslsnakes
F#%K JDM, USDM FTW

Originally Posted by cruzalekz
leak down is not really reliable specially if your timing is off.
there should be some leakage there since, well, timing is off and you do a leakdown at tdc with the intake and exhaust valves closed right? my recommendation to you, put no1 at tdc, put the pin punches on the camshaft holes, carefully slide out the timing belt off the cam sprockets, move the sprocket a bit (the one thats out) and put the timing belt back on and reccheck your timing. If the belt is loose, just loosen the tensioner bolt, adjust the tension and retighten the tensioner bolt again.

once done, do a compression test and that should determine if your valves in a certain cylinder is not sealing/bent.
if a cylinder has low compression, and you want to pinpoint what is bent, then you do the cylinder leakage test.

Ummm... I didn't recommend a leak down test for timing, I meant that to make sure no valves were bent. Bring the cams and crank to TDC one at a time and test each cylinder. There's no point in lining every thing up, getting the belt on and tensioned, then do a leak down and find that there's a belt valve(s).