Notices

Exhaust questions

Old 01-08-2003, 03:31 PM
GSR-COOL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust questions

Will a 98 type R exhaust fit on a 94 GSR? What about just the muffler?
Old 01-08-2003, 03:35 PM
ShaolinLueb

i believe it does. you might want to get the cat back though. my friend had a type r muffler on his 95 gsr and had problems fitting it.
Old 01-08-2003, 03:53 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

I would skip it and just get something aftermarket. It's not much of an upgrade despite what you might see on the internet.
Old 01-09-2003, 05:18 PM
BSQ

Default Re: Exhaust questions

Originally posted by GSR-COOL
Will a 98 type R exhaust fit on a 94 GSR? What about just the muffler?
For a '94-'99 GS-R you will need to have the Type-R B-pipe extended by 4.5". Here is a picture of my lengthened Type-R B-pipe.

Larger image (cut and paste link): http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...8.jpg.orig.jpg

BTW, I had a 2.5" exhaust flange installed for a future JDM 4-1 header and a 2.5" hi-flow cat. So, my modified Type-R B-pipe will look a little bit different. If you just want to extend the B-pipe and use the stock flange, then you can just have the muffler shop cut the B-pipe about 4-5" back from the flange. Then a piece of 2.25" piping can be expanded on each end and inserted in between.

The Type-R muffler will bolt right on the GS-R B-pipe with no modifications.
Old 01-09-2003, 05:28 PM
BSQ

Originally posted by MrFatBooty
I would skip it and just get something aftermarket. It's not much of an upgrade despite what you might see on the internet.
I would have to disagree. There was a recent test done by SMSP. He builds and sells a 2.5" catback exhaust with a straight through muffler and it only gained 3 HP over the Type-R catback exhaust. The test was done on a stock Integra Type-R. Here is a link to the thread: http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=332226I . So, there isn't really much to gain by going from 2.25" --> 2.5".

I have the Type-R catback exhaust on my '94 GS-R and it is a really nice upgrade. The fit and finish is excellent and the exhaust is only slightly louder than stock. Also, there is a very noticeable improvement in performance. The car pulls much harder from about 5,500 RPM and the engine is more responsive.