Notices

What's the difference between sway bars and strut bars?

Old 01-06-2003, 09:59 AM
BonzoAPD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the difference between sway bars and strut bars?

What's the difference between sway bars and strut bars? (are the sway bars the ones underneath the car and the strut bars like the one over the engine?)

What will putting different ones on my GSR do to it?

Is one better over the other to mod or should I mod both the sway bars and strut bars?

Are ITR versions best to use or are aftermarket ones better?
Old 01-06-2003, 08:02 PM
HYBRID

you are correct, the strut bars are the upper bars you see under the hood on all gs-r's and type r's. some people even have the rear shock tower braces (strut bars) however dont get them confused with sway bars. many companies make many different type's of bars and you have to choose what will be better for your application. you will notice a bigger difference if you get sway bars rather than if you strut bars. hope this helps

p.s i personally like the tanabe strut bars they feel solid and i have noticed a difference in how my rear end behaves since i installed the rear strut bar
Old 01-10-2003, 06:03 AM
BonzoAPD

does anyone have the ITR strut bars and sway bars on their GSR? If so how good is the difference?
Old 01-10-2003, 07:00 AM
b00gers

strut bars reinforce the frame / chassis of the car, the sway bar is a suspension component.

some people, like, choose the OEM bars for the type r because they are OEM to acuras, and they are cheaper

i had front and rear ebay strut bars, waste of $30 h: i swap out my front for the 4pt neuspeed bar, i love it. i have yet to swap the rear for anything else.

i also swapped out my stock rear sway bar for the ITR. went from 14mm to 22mm i believe. i havent gotten a chance to really "drive" my car, though.

http://ownerages.com/itrinstall.htm
Old 01-10-2003, 09:36 AM
Taiwanze7

Strut bars will give your car a stiffer feel... I got the ITR Front tower bar, and then the Neuspeed 4pt. I honestly think the Neuspeed 4pt is the better bar. But, beware that the stiff front chasis bar caused my car to start squeeking in other places, and I gained a lil more understeer.

Swaybars help you transfer weight while cornering between your springs... effectively, increasing the spring rates. However if the swaybar is too big and overpowers the springs, you'll get some lift and the wheels may come off the ground
Old 01-11-2003, 07:47 PM
strider7slvrGSR

In order to install the Type R 22mm rear swaybar on your GSR, you'll need a special installation kit. Our Geezers aren't reinforced like the R's are. So, some folks have had the Type R bar rip out of their chassis. I think the BSQ kit will allow you to install the Type R safely (I don't have details on that kit, but maybe someone else does).

Another, maybe better, option would be to go with Comptech's 22m rear sway bar/rear lower tie bar kit. They guarantee that it won't tear out. The set is about $400.
Old 01-11-2003, 11:19 PM
b00gers

Originally posted by strider7slvrGSR
In order to install the Type R 22mm rear swaybar on your GSR, you'll need a special installation kit. Our Geezers aren't reinforced like the R's are. So, some folks have had the Type R bar rip out of their chassis. I think the BSQ kit will allow you to install the Type R safely (I don't have details on that kit, but maybe someone else does).

http://ownerages.com/itrinstall.htm

Old 01-12-2003, 07:26 AM
strider7slvrGSR

Well, there you go ... The People's Mod comes through for, well, the people ... he,he,he