Notices

A/C compatible turbo manifold?

Old 01-25-2009, 02:41 AM
pslsnakes
F#%K JDM, USDM FTW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C compatible turbo manifold?

Well, I'm going to the dark side, and doing a full blown build. I'm settling with the insurance company from the guy that rear ended me in October '08, for about $35,000. I have some "complications" with my ankle, but my orthopedic doctor says I should be fine, but may need surgery down the road.

I'm putting $20,000 or so of it away, and doing a sick ass build on the GSR with the rest of it. Dart or Bensen sleeved to 2.0L, Garrett G35r, fully built internals, etc.

One problem though. I want to keep A/C in the car, as it is a daily driver. Any one have a turbo Teg that retained A/C and what manifold are you using? And also, what radiator are you using? Full size Integra or half size Civic radiator?

Thanks
Old 01-25-2009, 09:55 PM
Spec R

haha not to be a jerk, but with 15k straight up I'd just get another car. or do a sick NA build up and hit up roadcourses with the money left over. test drive an evo/sti/wrx. i was die hard honda for a long time until my eyes were opened by a test drive in an evo.

but to answer your question, theres only a small handful of AC compatible manifolds. even fewer allow u to keep power steering AND AC.

i think the DRAG/BLOX/Greddy/Edelbrock kits let u keep both but those will limit ur final output.

i'd go with an aluminum civic radiator just for the space. i rocked a koyo full length with my greddy kit, and it was a TIGHT fit.

Last edited by Spec R; 01-25-2009 at 09:57 PM.
Old 01-26-2009, 03:26 AM
pslsnakes
F#%K JDM, USDM FTW

I want an S2k soooooooo bad, but insurance would kill me. I'm paying $240 and change a month right now with the GSR, from $130 with my '97 Civic. I got a quote for an '01 S2000 and it was almost $450 a month with minimal coverage, and I have full coverage on the GSR.

I was talking to my friend and tuner, and he said it'll be hard to keep A/C with the power I want, and would limit me. So I guess I'm not worried about A/C any more, since I hardly ever use it, but it's nice on the occasion.. but I need power steering. I'll probably go with a top mount setup for clearance to the power steering pump.

For the radiator.. If I go with a half size Civic one, will the car run hotter than it's supposed to? This is a daily driven car, that sees 200 or so mile trips at times. I don't want to start over heating when I'm on the highway 100 miles from home.
Old 01-26-2009, 04:28 AM
Spec R

dear god thats expensive insurance.

no love for the subaru eh? i'm sure the insurance for a base wrx couldnt be that expensive. cheap to mod, big gains, decent reliability.

hondas have super great reliability records, but throw serious power at them, and any weak links will quickly expose themselves.

i would think that at highway speeds things would run cooler anyway, since theres ample air flow. its when you're stuck in traffic when u have to start worrying about things. or if u do a roadtrip with a lot of hills (obviously not a problem in FL), stay out of boost.

do u have any friends that have any crazy turbo tegs that you got a lot of exposure to? or any other cars with decent power?

i'm not trying to discourage you or anyone else reading this thread, but spending xx,xxx on an integra is a decision that shouldnt be taken without knowing the repercussions (sp?) of it.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:47 PM
pslsnakes
F#%K JDM, USDM FTW

Yea.. I'm 18, with a spotless driving record with one accidcent that wasn't even my fault.

I like Subarus, but I love my Honda more haha. No friends with crazy built up Integras. 632whp K swapped EG, Crazy ass 580whp H22 EG coupe, etc, but those aren't daily driven. My friend Tom is one of only 3 tuners for eCtune in FL, and he's a good friend of mine, but it's hard to catch him when he's not busy. That's why I'm asking questions so I can have everything ready so all he has to do is tune it instead of answering 100 different questions, and all that.

Right now I'm just doing my research and gathering lists of parts. I'm still contemplating on whether to buy a top quality kit like Full-Race and buy the supporting parts around that, or do a kit from scratch.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:00 AM
Spec R

Originally Posted by pslsnakes
Yea.. I'm 18, with a spotless driving record with one accidcent that wasn't even my fault.

I like Subarus, but I love my Honda more haha. No friends with crazy built up Integras. 632whp K swapped EG, Crazy ass 580whp H22 EG coupe, etc, but those aren't daily driven. My friend Tom is one of only 3 tuners for eCtune in FL, and he's a good friend of mine, but it's hard to catch him when he's not busy. That's why I'm asking questions so I can have everything ready so all he has to do is tune it instead of answering 100 different questions, and all that.

Right now I'm just doing my research and gathering lists of parts. I'm still contemplating on whether to buy a top quality kit like Full-Race and buy the supporting parts around that, or do a kit from scratch.

well i guess you have some friends with serious power hondas, so i bet that influences a lot haha.

with me, time is money, and free time has its value too. i spent a bit more $$$ than i should have when i put together my turbo setup for my first integra, but i wanted the right parts, right away. it paid off, but I dont know if you have the same priorities. if i could go back, i would have just bought a whole kit, but at the same time it was kind of fun building the kit together.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:37 PM
pslsnakes
F#%K JDM, USDM FTW

My main priority is getting it done right, reliability is key, and daily drievn is a must.

I also had another though... built N/A K20 and a JDM front... hmmm

I guess the decision making will be done when I have money in hand, and find what appeals to my eyes and check book.
Old 01-28-2009, 04:40 AM
JoePoonani
Lexus Tech y0!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd hate to see a thread in a few months with the title "Stolen fully built turbo Teg" from you after all the money and work you put into your daily driven Teg. This is mostly the reason why I got out of the Honda scene, I had my first car stolen from me. IMO I would throw a nice down payment on a new Si or like Spec R said an STI/EVO/WRX.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:52 AM
Spec R

Originally Posted by JoePoonani
I'd hate to see a thread in a few months with the title "Stolen fully built turbo Teg" from you after all the money and work you put into your daily driven Teg. This is mostly the reason why I got out of the Honda scene, I had my first car stolen from me. IMO I would throw a nice down payment on a new Si or like Spec R said an STI/EVO/WRX.
yep, i guess its me being from Los Angeles. At least with a powerful Sti/Evo/Wrx, they're not stolen as much, and if they do, the insurance covers a decent amount.

with an integra, its like u dump 15k into it, it gets stolen, u get like 3k back. woooo
Old 01-28-2009, 11:58 AM
pslsnakes
F#%K JDM, USDM FTW

I have a Cliffard G5 alarm, hood cable relocated to the engine bay, ignition kill, fuel pump kill, and the car gets garaged every night. Next is an NRG removable steering hub and lojack. And it doesn't stay out over night if I go on a trip. I take trips with it, but if it's over night I use something else. It won't get stolen.