Notices

cat to catback connection rust help

Old 12-12-2002, 12:35 PM
Metal256Integra

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cat to catback connection rust help

to start - i got the tanabe racing medallion exhaust for my ls integra

second i looked under it to see how the cnonections were on the stock pieces to remove them when i crawled under the joints were rusted like crazy - since i have time alloted for me to go up on my friends lift next week i would like to know how i shoudl go about taking this three bolt connection off. the rust is a mess all over the bolts and flange part. Shall is pray them with oil or dd40. if they break does the exhaust come with more bolts to attach it to the cat (its still in the mail). . . got it from tornactive.com

thanks for the help
Old 12-13-2002, 05:46 AM
Tobra

Penetrating oil, like liquid wrench, put it on, let it sit, get it hot with a torch, or just running it, use six point sockets to try and remove(less likely to round off). Use a wire brush to clean it up a bit before you attempt all this. If worse comes to worse, you can always just cut them off. You should be using new bolts anyway, they should send new ones, but if they don't get some yourself. Go to a hardware store and buy some stainless steel nuts and bolts, or like for a marine application
Old 12-13-2002, 06:23 AM
el diablo
Jeeebus......Help Me!!!!!

When I put my exhuast on I took the cat off completly by undoing to spring bolts to the front of the cat and removed the stock exhaust piping that way. With everything on the ground or bench if your lucky enough to have one it will be easier to undo the bolts, and deffinatly get some new ones dont put the rusty ones back on.
Old 12-13-2002, 11:35 AM
g2tegls
MR, ftw

I just did this last week. The bolts on my cat resembled little mounds of rust. What I had to do was cut them off on both sides with a dremel and cutoff wheel (several actually). Didn't help that I had the car on stands. Took forever but I conquered that sumbitch.
Old 12-14-2002, 06:37 AM
Xyooj

Ahhh sweet rust..Im in the middle of a project like that myself.. Suc Az rusty MOnza catback.