Notices

Cam gear settings

Old 12-03-2002, 06:31 AM
XSrcing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam gear settings

whats up guys. as some of you know, my friend recently obtained yooly's old car. when he go it though, the intake cam was retarded 10*( ) and the exhaust cam was at 0*. so he reset the intake back to zero to get the car running good.

my question: what is a good setting to move the torque curve slightly lower? i know you really cant get more power from adjusting cams, but a lower torque curve will let him save some gas.
Old 12-03-2002, 08:14 AM
yoolykeme
Banned

wait...what?

intake was retarded 10 deg? thats not possible.....last that i saw, they were both set at 0 and distibutor timing was set at 18....

hmmm...thats weird....unless the body shop that had the car last did something....but i know what the settings were when i last had it.....

interesting......
Old 12-03-2002, 08:49 AM
XSrcing

yeah wierd stuff happens. also when he had it inspected, the chipped some paint off the front bumper while getting it off the dyno. but they are paying for the damages and it helps that our friend is a painter at Sewell Lexus.
Old 12-03-2002, 08:55 AM
madlow

Originally posted by XSrcing
yeah wierd stuff happens. also when he had it inspected, the chipped some paint off the front bumper while getting it off the dyno. but they are paying for the damages and it helps that our friend is a painter at Sewell Lexus.
what was the dyno results?
Old 12-03-2002, 09:02 AM
XSrcing

Originally posted by madlow
what was the dyno results?
they weren't measuring power. on all 95(obd I) an older cars they have to put them on a dyno and measure emissions with engine load.
Old 12-03-2002, 01:41 PM
yoolykeme
Banned

ah, emissions test.....

here in chicago, they always let me go without testing me b/c they were scared to hurt the car

damn, and i wanted to see dyno results too :-D
Old 12-03-2002, 02:31 PM
dubcac
I

Did the cam gear slip a tooth on the belt? 10 degrees is A LOT of retard. Best way to tune the gears is on a dyno, every car is different and reacts differently to cam gear settings.
Old 12-03-2002, 02:43 PM
yoolykeme
Banned

if so, this would prolly be the case, but still weird.

i was there when my tech installed the gears...saw them torqued to spec and all.

but then again, they are AEM gears.

Originally posted by dubster99
Did the cam gear slip a tooth on the belt? 10 degrees is A LOT of retard. Best way to tune the gears is on a dyno, every car is different and reacts differently to cam gear settings.
Old 12-03-2002, 05:33 PM
XSrcing

Originally posted by dubster99
the engine is equipped with AEM cam gears. and it had slipped or something to 10 degrees of retard.

but i dont know if AEM cam gears are that bad. Stephan Papmeister has them on his drag civic, which put alot more stress on them than this engine.
Old 12-03-2002, 08:10 PM
dubcac
I

I've heard of a lot of problems with the gear itself slipping from only having 3 bolts, but the timing belt itself can also slip on the outside of the gear, one tooth is about 10 degrees if I'm not mistaken. I would be willing to bet that Stephan has a set of custom gears for his drag civic, and they aren't the off the shelf gears...I could be mistaken though.