Notices

Suspension Help

Old 12-02-2002, 09:46 PM
slowassintegra

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension Help

I just got a 90 teg and wondered what y'all thought the most comfortable ride for under 500.00 is. Ive riden in a teg with some progress springs with stock shocks and that ride was very comfy. Some friends have suggested a neuspeed race and tokico combo. Do y'all think i can get away with a good set of springs and stock shocks? A comfy ride is very important
Thanks
Old 12-03-2002, 04:45 AM
Tony96EX

You won't get a comfy ride with race springs. Go with H&R OE Sports or Neuspeed Soft Sports. THey have softer rates but wont drop you more than an inch. Almost all aftermarket struts are stiffer than stock. Your best bet is to get adjustable shocks like Koni yellows, Tokico illuminas or KYB agx
Old 12-03-2002, 06:41 AM
XSrcing

H&R OE sports with tokico blues would suit you just fine. and it has a better than stock ride quality IMHO.
Old 12-03-2002, 06:43 AM
Shingoblade-GSR
Hellsing Agency

Originally posted by Tony96EX
You won't get a comfy ride with race springs. Go with H&R OE Sports or Neuspeed Soft Sports. THey have softer rates but wont drop you more than an inch. Almost all aftermarket struts are stiffer than stock. Your best bet is to get adjustable shocks like Koni yellows, Tokico illuminas or KYB agx
Aftermarket springs with stock shocks give a nice ride...for about a month until the shocks become blown.

With your budget, get either of the last two shocks recommended above...the koni yellows themselves cost $500+

You'll also want springs with progressive spring-rates for the best ride.

Shingo
Old 12-03-2002, 06:47 AM
XSrcing

Originally posted by Shingoblade-GSR
Aftermarket springs with stock shocks give a nice ride...for about a month until the shocks become blown.

With your budget, get either of the last two shocks recommended above...the koni yellows themselves cost $500+

You'll also want springs with progressive spring-rates for the best ride.

Shingo
thats why i suggested what i did. OE sports are prgressive and the tokicos are guaranteed not to blow. and all this will cost around $500 maybe a little less.
Old 12-03-2002, 09:00 PM
Taiwanze7

I thought the tokico blues were stiff as hell... those are not street shocks *at least not with GC*, I think the blisten shocks are better for ride comfort H&R + Blistens
Old 12-03-2002, 10:12 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Tokico HP (blue) are a mild upgrade over stock. Not very stiff at all. They're not a great match for GCs because the stiff spring rates essentially overpower the shocks.

You've got a '90 car, it probably has the original shocks which are like 12 years old. Get rid of them quickly. Try and swing some Tokico Illumina shocks over the KYB AGX, they're a bit nicer. Those and some not-too-aggressive springs will give you a nice ride.
Old 12-05-2002, 04:56 PM
Deagle
Nüb

If you want a comfortable right that's lower than stock, the first thing you have to do is get new shocks, because the new springs are going to kill your old ones. You should get adjustable damping shocks. The cheaper ones but not necessarily of poor quality are either Tokico Illuminas or KYB AGX. Softer damping settings mean they will travel more when under load meaning when you hit a bump it will squish rather than bang.

As for springs, to maintain comfort, you should make sure you get progressive rate springs (not Progress, as in brand name). These springs differ from stricter racing springs in that their compression rates are gradual instead of linear, meaning they start out soft but as you apply more load they become increasingly stiff. The linear springs are just that. They are stiff at the beginning and become even stiffer as force is applied. They aren't made to give softer characteristics. Progressive springs are like Eibach Prokit, Neuspeed Sport, and most other stand alone, non adjustable springs. Some adjustable springs are also progressive, though I can't think of names right now.

I've heard many times that Eibach Prokit are even smoother than stock with Tokico Illuminas, yet still have better handling.

If you really want to improve handling, couple these with a thicker rear sway bar. That will keep you from rolling off the onramps by the highway.