Notices

Annoying squeak in dash in '92 Integra...any idea??

Old 11-28-2002, 02:49 PM
terryt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Annoying squeak in dash in '92 Integra...any idea??

when my car is started up during cool mornings (only fall, winter...I live in Toronto) and driven away, there is this blooding annoying squeak/noise coming from inside the dashboard, right behind the kick panel thats under the steering wheel.

The sound it makes is like when you have a plastic back caught on your bicycle wheel (right on the axle, between spokes and frame) and rubs. More like a fast, recurring sound. (theres nothing caught on the wheels..i've checked along time ago)

If i push against the kick panel with one or both hands (while i' m driving) with about 25LBs of force, the sound goes away.

Standing still theres nothing. After about 20-30 minutes of driving, where by the car is fully warmed up, the sound goes away.

Has anybody encountered something like this??
Old 11-28-2002, 08:09 PM
red GS-R
shhhh...just be quiet.

welcome to the world of integras.

everything squeaks you'll get used to it.
Old 11-28-2002, 08:27 PM
pimpingacura

A little confused here. Now you say kick panel under the steering wheel. You don't mean the center of the steering wheel do you? I have had that scweek and it sucks but is fixable. If you mean where you put your foot on the foot pad that could be a loose bolt in the pad or I have no idea. Sorry I only have the rear hatch plastic sqweek but I am learning to live with it.
Old 11-28-2002, 09:14 PM
Bookshelf
highrevmotorsports.com

I got a gen2 and I got the same problem. What I do is, I turn the stereo up, then U cannot hear it anymore.
Old 11-29-2002, 04:27 AM
red GS-R
shhhh...just be quiet.

yeah get a racing medallion
Old 11-29-2002, 03:42 PM
CivicRicer

I have a G2 as well and it makes the same noise when I've just started up and running in cold weather. The sound is only heard when the car is in motion. When just idling I don't hear anything of the sort. I thought something was wrong but I guess its normal eh?
Old 11-29-2002, 08:57 PM
terryt

I meant the panel just where your knee is, not on the steering column.
I think the panel is held by 4 screws.
I've taken the panel off and tried to see if there was anything loose/moving around. Could not find anything.
At first i thought it might be the wiring hoses rubbing against one another/against something, so i zip tied all hoses tightly together. It didn't help though. The "squeak" has been there for a couple of years now and it drives me crazy.

I'm thinking about sticking a big piece of soft foam in there to hopefully get rid of the noise, or at least dampen the annoyance.
Old 11-29-2002, 09:37 PM
Bookshelf
highrevmotorsports.com

Go ahead and do it. Tell us if it hapled.
Old 11-30-2002, 04:39 PM
red.da

you should try a search on www.g2ic.com im pretty sure they have covered this topic, as well as every other common problem with our tegs before. hth
-aaron
Old 12-02-2002, 09:52 PM
slowassintegra

i have the same problem. My buddy who has the same car says he used to have it too. The problem for his car was that apparently theres a cable that goes from the engine to the back of the cluster. This cable spins in the engine and then spins the speedometer as well. All he did was take the cable, which was enclosed in a plastic coating of sorts, and lubricated it and his problem was gone. Im not car savy so i could be explaining this wrongly. just my 2 cents tho.