Notices

Need Help - Intermittent Starting Problem

Old 11-20-2002, 05:37 AM
juliec

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help - Intermittent Starting Problem

My '95 Integra a few months ago started having trouble going into gear. It started just fine but then the gear shift seemed stuck and I'd have to turn the car off, put it in nuetral, then start it and it would go in gear just fine. Now, that problem seems to have subsided but it when I put my key in the ignition to start it it just clicks, then I wait a second and try again and it starts right up. My battery is only one year old. I described my problem to a AAA tow truck man who said "I've seen this a 100 times and it's your safety nuetral switch - it's out of alignment" so I took my car into the shop he works for this mornign and NOW they tell me it's not the switch it's the starter and it will cost ~$450 to fix....... Has anyone out there shared this same experience?? DO you think it's just the switch and not the starter?? I can't see how it could be the starter since I STARTED my car this morning to drive it to their shop!!????
Advise will be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!
Julie
Old 11-20-2002, 06:31 AM
reno96teg

"safety neutral switch is out of alignment?" :ugh:

it does sound like your starter.. problems with starters can be intermittent.. meaning, one day it'll work, the next day it won't. however, $450 is way too much to pay to fix it.. :-/ have they started the work yet? if not, i'd take it out of that shop, asap.
Old 11-20-2002, 06:35 AM
juliec

thanks!! I've gotten that advice from another source too - I just hate the thought of paying their $65 dollar diagnosis fee, taking it to another shop and getting told the same thing! ANd having to pay just as much......
Old 11-21-2002, 06:35 PM
Shoofly

If it was your neutral safety switch it would make no sound at all. Just like if you were trying to start the car without the clutch pushed in
Old 11-24-2002, 02:00 AM
hifive

I believe its a faulty solenoid, which by-the-way, is housed within the starter assembly. As such, the solenoid cannot be independently replaced.........consequently, a new starter will be needed.

I just experienced the same problem and had it repaired with a rebuilt starter ( 106.00 for the starter + 64.00 for labor)
Old 11-28-2002, 08:30 PM
TealSi

Default auto or 5 speed?

is it a automatic or 5 speed? if its a automatic i "may" be the neutral safety switch not sensing the "P" selection on the gear shift lever. otherwise it sounds like your starter is going bad.
Old 11-28-2002, 08:43 PM
pimpingacura

Well it sounds like your starter and if you know anything about mechanics or very little you could take the starter out yourself and save some cash. Take it to a repair shop and have them fix it for $100 or under. Now if you turn the key and it makes a clicking noise that sounds like your battery and sometimes you get a dud battery and that is what it is. If you turn the key and nothing that could be the neutral switch or it could be brushes in the starter are worn out. Brushes worn out happens and then if you tap the starter with a hammer will move it enough that it will start again but get it fixed soon. My Dad's business is fixing starters and alternators and he took mine apart when I bought the car when it was 6years old and he only put brushes in because that is all that was a little worn. Hope this helps
Old 12-01-2002, 05:01 AM
TTZ

Default Voltage drop test.

Before you replace the starter ask them if they performed a voltage drop test. Depending on the temperature, resistance in the batter cable can change. The starter may be fine but not enough current is getting to it. This can be an intermittent problem and is common with honda/acura battery cables. It is often mis-diagnosed because the shop never bothered to perform a voltage drop test and the new starter will often work but trust me, it is not a fix.