Notices

Clutch Adjustment

Old 11-19-2002, 11:16 AM
smithg001

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Adjustment

ok guys... Ive delt with this in my old '84 civic 1500 s, but not yet in my 94 LS.
My clutch for some reason is now engaging and disengaging only after about 10-15% travel in the pedel as oppsed to almost halfway a about 10,000 miles ago... I have 130,000 miles on the car and I am pretty sure it is the second clutch (it was a used car bought a little over a year ago).

In my civic I got two adjustments out of a clutch before it needed to be replaced, and I have worn out clutches before... this one is still catching perfectly.

I called up a dealer asking for the price of a clutch adjustment and he said it was self adjusting... I don't get it!

Any help would be much apprieciated(sp?)

thanks
Old 11-19-2002, 11:42 AM
red GS-R
shhhh...just be quiet.

i know the cable trannies are self adjusting, from the G2 tegs. are you sure he knew it was a G3? the G3's have a different kind of tranny and aren't cable.
Old 11-19-2002, 09:41 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

I distinctly remember adjusting the clutch cable on my '92 GSR and following the procedure as laid out in my Helms manual. I don't think it's self-adjusting...

As for the hydraulic clutch, there's about as much range of adjustment as your brake pedal.
Old 11-20-2002, 04:21 AM
LT
The deer had to die!

aren't the hydraulic clutches self-adjusting?
Old 11-20-2002, 02:18 PM
Kaiz

Originally posted by LT6916
aren't the hydraulic clutches self-adjusting?
Yes hydraulic clutch systems are self adjusting. My clutch grabs really high up as well, but that's just the way it is. I'd love to have it grab halfway up, but thats something that cannot be adjusted in the 3rd gen integra.
Old 11-20-2002, 07:07 PM
Shoofly

Default Check out the....

The '94 has a hydraulic clutch. I always loved the "self adjusting" response. It doesnt really self adjust, but that is not why I am posting. Check for hydraulic leaks from the Master.

Look up under the dash and follow the clutch pedal to the pushrod for the master. If you see wetness you need to get that master replaced. They all leak eventually.
Old 11-21-2002, 05:41 AM
JackoliciousLeg
root

Oh boy buddy, pray you don't have to go through what I did. What you need to do, is like shoofly said, check your master, and your slave cylinder for leakage... if you can see some moisture around either... get them changed fast before your clutch gets ruined. (I SAW NO MOISTURE, yet my master was shot when i took it out)

Otherwise, bleed your clutch, you could have air in the line, and that could cause your clutch to engage lower... but if you have air in the line, chances are one of the cylinders is gone.

Next, if bleeding doesn't help, and EVEN IF YOU DON'T SEE MOISTURE... get your clutch master and slave changed. Parts are like $100 for both and I did it myself, so I don't know what labor is...

That should take care of it no matter what... UNLESS YOU'RE STUPID LIKE ME, and waited so long, that you chip a piece off of your clutch plate and it ruins your new clutch and flywheel!!!! AAAAHHHH!!!

Don't wait to check your cylinders... or change them... if all else fails, just change the cylinders, it's the most likely and least costly option.

Hope it works out...
JackO
Old 11-21-2002, 02:18 PM
LT
The deer had to die!

how can you tell if your master cylinder is going bad? my 94 didn't have a problem yet with clutch except replace the clutch itself (and slave cylinder)
Old 11-21-2002, 02:33 PM
Shoofly

LT6916 read my post above. That will take care of visual checks. As far as performance, you might notice that your clutch is not grabbing quite where you think it should. Most often it grabs very low if the master cylinder is leaking.

If your clutch feels fine when you drive it and you dont see any fluid around the seal of the master (inside the car) I wouldnt worry about your clutch =)

As for your issue with the clutch disc chipping JackoliciousLeg
I wouldnt blame your clutch master and slave for that happening. It's a VERY common problem. The springs in the clutch disc move around a lot and depending how you drive (I suppose) they eventually wear their grooves too big and bounce around more than they should and at some point the fitting around the spring just breaks. I have seen this happen in a LOT of integras, so dont feel like you are all alone

Shoofly