Notices

coilovers vs. springs

Old 10-26-2002, 08:23 PM
cdowney00

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coilovers vs. springs

OK coilovers have the advantage of customable heights but is the ride and/or performance the same as lowering springs? I am looking to upgrade my suspension, I think I am going to get KYB AGX shocks but haven’t decided on this springs yet? I don’t want to lower to greatly but ride is much more important then .5 of an inch. Any suggestions or comments on your experience on coilover/springs? Thanks in advance
Old 10-26-2002, 09:41 PM
Shingoblade-GSR
Hellsing Agency

Most street springs have progressive spring rates; coilover sleeves such as Ground Control use linear spring rates = worsened ride quality but better handling. However, the cheaper coilover sleeves/systems are not worth buying period.

It really depends on how much you want to spend. I have adjusted my ride height several times since I put on larger wheels (fender rubbing problem). My shocks are adjustable (rebound only) so I've tweaked with them during track days and whatnot. I'm definitely a proponent for some degree of adjustability, but if you're aiming to spend less than $300 a good set of springs will do you best.

Shingo
Old 10-26-2002, 10:43 PM
Deagle
Nüb

Also, some of the coilover sleeves have semi-progressive springs. I think GC's might be one of them... or was it the Skunk2s?
Old 10-26-2002, 10:59 PM
integlos

how are the vis vspec II?
Old 10-27-2002, 01:46 AM
antarius
Large Member

I didn't read your whole post or the replies, just mainly the topic... so if I'm off base, then sorry. Here you go...

I'd say coil-overs.
I have Ground Control Coil Overs and I can't tell you how nice it is to be able to raise or lower your car, this corner this way, this one this way, yadda yadda, just to make it PERFECT.

Yes, technically you have to get an alignment after you adjust the height, but I've never gotten one and my tires are wearing just fine.

My GC's dont ride any worse than my friends Prelude with Neuspeed Springs and KYB AGX's.
I'm on GC's and Koni Yellows.

They handle every bit as well/better than a spring setup.

COil Over!
Old 10-27-2002, 07:16 PM
cdowney00

any other comments before this gets buried?
Old 10-27-2002, 08:39 PM
Cliffgump
I get custom user text?

Well technically GC and Skunk aren't coilovers, they're adjustable springs, true coilovers are a strut/spring combination, companies like JIC, Koni, and Tein make true coilovers
Old 10-28-2002, 08:50 AM
gc94GSR
Roving Member

From my research, the least drop you can get from an off-the-shelf spring is 0.75 inches from both H&R OE Sport or Neuspeed SofSport springs.

I'm planning on going with H&R OE Sport and Tokico Illuminas myself but I'm going to wait until spring. I'd like to go lower but need adequate snow clearance in the winter.

Gordon.
Old 10-28-2002, 10:54 AM
Deagle
Nüb

Where abouts in Ontario are you gc94GSR? I'm lowering later this week but I'm not sure how low I can drop it, with snow in Toronto, in mind.
Old 10-28-2002, 12:03 PM
chanluder

my friend has coilover setup and he said that it's bumpy. he'd rather get springs.