Notices

Putting mah baby away for winter

Old 10-17-2002, 07:36 AM
integranator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Putting mah baby away for winter

Well, its coming that time to put her away for hibernation. Any suggestions on what to do b4 i put her away?? I want to detail it before winter, like with a Meguiars 3step? Any suggestions on maintence issues before hand? So after i install all the parts i want to for spring she will run super smooth?
Old 10-17-2002, 08:20 AM
BonzoAPD

you should drain the oil. Not sure about what other fluids you should drain as well.
Old 10-17-2002, 09:41 AM
lttletimmy

I would drain the gas too. I'm not sure how long it keeps, but i recently restored a motorcycle that had been sitting for a while with gas in the tank and it was not pretty at all.
Old 10-17-2002, 09:42 AM
lttletimmy

Also start it up and run it every once in a while if you can to keep things moving and to keep the valve springs in good shape.
Old 10-17-2002, 09:43 AM
Cliffgump
I get custom user text?

You don't need to waste all that gas, just throw some fuel stabilizer in the tank.
Old 10-17-2002, 10:29 AM
BonzoAPD

Originally posted by lttletimmy
Also start it up and run it every once in a while if you can to keep things moving and to keep the valve springs in good shape.
don't start it if you drain the fluids
Old 10-17-2002, 10:50 AM
AJ97GSR

Don't drain the fluids, just make sure that you make a habit of running the car til it warms up about once a week, that should keep it tip-top for the winter and ready to go in the spring. Make sure to change the oil when you take it back out in the spring as well.
Old 10-17-2002, 11:23 AM
mrhonda_187

I stored a car for a couple winters. From what I've read and/or been told, this is correct:

Don't drain the fluids, just make sure that you make a habit of running the car til it warms up about once a week, that should keep it tip-top for the winter and ready to go in the spring. Make sure to change the oil when you take it back out in the spring as well.
However, I never changed the oil in the spring. Didn't see the point. Along with that, I put all four corners up on jack stands to get the weight off the suspension and prevent flat spots on the tires. Also I went around all the gaskets (door, trunk, sunroof) with vasoline. Yes, vasoline, why, I don't know... just what I was told. Seemed to do a good job.

Also, if you're starting it up every week in your garage, make sure you've got adequate ventilation.

Oh, almost forgot, plastic bags with elastics over the tail pipes (remove when starting every week). Something to do with keeping mice out (seriously).

Good luck.
Old 10-17-2002, 02:53 PM
kilabeez

screw the bags on the tail pipes, let the mice get in there....it'll be a nice surprise when u go to start it up!:thumbup:
Old 10-17-2002, 03:52 PM
daNattyFatty

Originally posted by kilabeez
screw the bags on the tail pipes, let the mice get in there....it'll be a nice surprise when u go to start it up!:thumbup:

lmao!!!!