Notices

Speedometer RPM Engine Temp Clock all dead

Old 09-17-2007, 09:11 PM
RPMthingy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedometer RPM Engine Temp Clock all dead

Hi, I was wondering if I could get some advice here on my 1994 Integra LS automatic.

I was having a little trouble shifting from park into gear, in that it was being a little sticky, but just recently it became impossible to shift out of park unless I used the shift lock override with another key.

I also noticed (I'm almost 100% positive they're related), the speedometer, RPM gauge, engine temp, and dash clock, shift indicator, cruise control light, and probably most of the other lights on the gauge cluster stopped working, with exception of the turn signals (and possibly the fuel gauge - haven't filled up yet to check it).

This is just an uneducated guess, but I read there are solenoids which can lock up the shifter if there's something wrong. Could there be a fuse before the solenoids and gauge cluster that's out?

I just quickly checked some of the fuses under the dash, though not all of them to see if something was out there, but it didn't look like there was anything burnt out.

Does anyone know exactly which fuse is related to the gauge cluster and dash clock?

Thanks for the help
Old 09-17-2007, 09:18 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

I'm not sure about your transmission issue. For your electrical stuff, check fuse 15. More than likely it has been fried since it alone controls the clock and just about everything else you listed.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:38 PM
RPMthingy

When you say "fuse 15" do you mean the 15A fuse labelled (ACG) IG?

I checked that fuse, as well as the under the hood fuse labelled IG, where I assume IG stands for Instrument Gauge. They both looked fine.

Thanks for the quick reply.

On a side note, I read up somewhere that if the brake switch under the brake peddle gets stuck so that the lights don't go on, this can also trigger the transmission solenoids to lock up, like a safety measure. Maybe there's some electrical connection prior to the shifter that went out, which also leads to most of the gauge cluster? Just a thought.

Last edited by RPMthingy; 09-17-2007 at 09:41 PM.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:57 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

By fuse 15, I mean the number 15 fuse. It is a 10A fuse located on the second row, fourth fuse from the left (not counting the spare fuse) in the under-dash fusebox. The two slots to the right of it should be empty unless you have a Canadian model equipped with daytime running lights. The IG fuses are for ignition/battery related circuits. The car wouldn't run if those were blown.

I would start with the brake switch since it would be easy to check and it would make sense that if the switch weren't functioning properly, it wouldn't come out of park.

Last edited by Provocateur; 09-17-2007 at 10:00 PM.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:53 PM
RPMthingy

I think this is the fuse I checked initially (labeled: Instrument Light). I checked it again and replaced it just in case. Still no luck.

The reason why I mention the shift lock is that the two problems pretty much occured simultaneously. I was wondering if the two systems are related somewhere along the line, them being both electrical.

I also checked the brake switch. No problems there.