Notices

Wheel stud replacement for 91 integra. Need help ASAP

Old 09-06-2007, 06:28 PM
91_accord

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel stud replacement for 91 integra. Need help ASAP

So far I've got the caliper, bracket, and rotor off. Now it looks like the hub may need to come off so I can drive the striped stud out. Any suggestions on how to proceed to the next step? Please someone let me know ASAP. Thanks
Old 09-06-2007, 10:33 PM
jesusublime99

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it its like 94-01 Integras, the you will need to remove the knuckle and have the hub and bearings pressed out. You should replace the bearings when they are pressed out. Then, the you can hammer the studs out, but I recommend pressing the new studs in.
Old 09-07-2007, 07:21 AM
91_accord

damn! that seems like even more work. Does anyone know if there is tool out there for removing hubs out the knuck without pressing?
Old 09-07-2007, 08:22 AM
v6_accord_jerz
Stupid Power Ball

Originally Posted by 91_accord
damn! that seems like even more work. Does anyone know if there is tool out there for removing hubs out the knuck without pressing?
Most likely you'll have to take it to a shop to have it pressed out. I had a shop replace the rear hub of my teg a few months ago. I broke a stud changing a tire.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:23 PM
91_accord

Does anyone know if it is possibly to use a slide hammer to get the hub out? I know that it's not recommended, but it's worth a try. If anything, I'll replace the wheel bearing, but I just wanted to try this first.
Old 09-08-2007, 05:55 AM
v6_accord_jerz
Stupid Power Ball

Originally Posted by 91_accord
Does anyone know if it is possibly to use a slide hammer to get the hub out? I know that it's not recommended, but it's worth a try. If anything, I'll replace the wheel bearing, but I just wanted to try this first.
I heard it takes ALOT of pressure to press/un-press on the machine, a couple of tons but might be wrong. I'm sure it's true though, that's why people take it to a shop since they don't have the proper tools. I wouldn't recommend using something that's not meant for it.
Old 09-08-2007, 04:04 PM
ricehnda94
Mcgyver

If you can push the old stud out that is broken with like a hammer, just pound that sucker out. Take the new stud and wiggle it in the hole that you just removed the old stud from if you have clearence. Then take a lug nut that is open (you can see through the hole) and tighten it down till it's snug, get an impact wrench and socket and use the force of the lug nut pulling the stud into place. Much cheaper and how I would do it at Les Schwab tires. GL
Old 09-09-2007, 05:44 PM
91_accord

Well today I went to Pep Boys to rent a slide hammer. Amazingly, after hooking up the axle adaptor onto the hub using two lug nuts to hold it, it took about five hits and the hub was out. Replaced all four studs put everything back. Wheel bearings are as tight as they were before. Thanks for suggestions guys.