Notices

oem is king

Old 08-28-2007, 11:16 AM
Topend
scooted

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oem is king

so after riding kyb agx's w/ ground controls, its time for a change. I must admit i had fun with the look and control provided by them but im getting more and more interested in oem equipment. I wanna do a oem type r suspension (sounds wierd and taking a few performance steps back i know). My question is are the gsr struts the same spec as type r ones? (I know the springs are stiffer and shorter and advice on where i can find new or gently used springs is needed). If so, i will just use new gsr struts with type r springs. ive searched online but can only find aftermarket springs. If there is an identical aftermarket spring to the type r one that would be fine as well. What do ya think?
Old 08-28-2007, 11:36 AM
ADRONICUS
www.ufc.com

Originally Posted by Topend
so after riding kyb agx's w/ ground controls, its time for a change. I must admit i had fun with the look and control provided by them but im getting more and more interested in oem equipment. I wanna do a oem type r suspension (sounds wierd and taking a few performance steps back i know). My question is are the gsr struts the same spec as type r ones? (I know the springs are stiffer and shorter and advice on where i can find new or gently used springs is needed). If so, i will just use new gsr struts with type r springs. ive searched online but can only find aftermarket springs. If there is an identical aftermarket spring to the type r one that would be fine as well. What do ya think?
I cannot tell you that the struts from the GSR and the Type R are the same, but if I were you, I would cross reference the part numbers. If they are the same then it the same part for both cars.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:20 PM
Topend
scooted

good idea. anyone on the springs? I would like to know where they can be purchased new or used. thx for the quick reply
Old 08-28-2007, 02:45 PM
RunningOnMT
4Banger

Front shocks are the same for gsr and itr, but the rears are different. You will need itr rear lower control arms to run them. For itr springs, post a "want to buy" ad and keep your eyes on ebay, criaglist, etc. I'm going to itr springs myself, but still waiting to replace one blown koni/neuspeed sp3 shock. Why not just keep your agx's if their still cool? should help with the stiffer itr springs.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:15 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

I can understand the desire for a smoother ride by going with the ITR springs, but downgrading the shocks isn't the greatest idea. Like RunningOnMT said, you will have to swap out your rear LCA's if you plan on running ITR shocks. I would just leave the ones you have on now so you have the adjustability and won't have the hassle of swapping out LCA's.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:37 PM
2001TEGGSR

You could also order some softer springs for your Ground Controls, but that might not give you the ride your looking for. H&R sports or Tein S/H-Tech springs will give you a softer ride. In any case, I would keep the AGX's.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:45 PM
jesusublime99

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Topend
good idea. anyone on the springs? I would like to know where they can be purchased new or used. thx for the quick reply
$295.11 new shipped from www.acuraoemparts.com

Last edited by jesusublime99; 09-08-2007 at 09:18 PM.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:16 PM
Spec R

the valving difference on the itr shocks versus the LS/GSR is there, but is very minimal. when i was doing my ITR shock/spring setup I asked the same question as you did to a guy on honda-tech that works with/at Koni. He said that he threw them on a shock dyno and the curves were similar.

just search for used itr shocks/springs as a whole from a vendor who sells 5 lug conversions.

the top hat bushings are also different on the type R parts.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:06 PM
Topend
scooted

thanks for all the feedback. So your saying i can use regular springs or even prokit/s-tech style ones on the agx's? the ride would be good too? But isnt the spring seat built lower on the agx? I dont really remember how my old ones looked and my dumbass threw them in the trash when i swapped.
Old 09-02-2007, 06:14 PM
Topend
scooted

scratch that last post (prob. already did) but its too much trouble to track down some oem springs. What springs can i use on stock gsr struts that mimic stock ones? I dont mind half or a one inch drop if thats what it takes. Im basically looking for soft aftermarket springs of good name brand quality. any suggestions?