Notices

What do I need to buy to change a head gasket?

Old 05-21-2007, 04:38 PM
angelgabe
Do-It-Yourselfer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do I need to buy to change a head gasket?

My head gasket appears to have blown on my 96 ls automatic. My brother was a tank mechanic for the army and I think between the both of us (and a 30 pack) we should be able to tackle this project. What I want to know is what I need to buy.
Which book is the best?
What parts?
What tools?
Besides the head gasket are there any other parts I should replace while I'm in there? Any common seals or rings that wear out that I should take care of?
I've heard that I should resurface the block and head when I do this, is this hard?

Any help I can get from you all would be awesome. Thanks!
Old 05-21-2007, 05:39 PM
ADRONICUS
www.ufc.com

Originally Posted by angelgabe
My head gasket appears to have blown on my 96 ls automatic. My brother was a tank mechanic for the army and I think between the both of us (and a 30 pack) we should be able to tackle this project. What I want to know is what I need to buy.
Which book is the best?
What parts?
What tools?
Besides the head gasket are there any other parts I should replace while I'm in there? Any common seals or rings that wear out that I should take care of?
I've heard that I should resurface the block and head when I do this, is this hard?

Any help I can get from you all would be awesome. Thanks!
I've never done this job, but if you brother can pull a jet engine from the back of a Bradley or an Abrams then a 4 cylinder doesn't have shit on him. Good luck man!!!
Old 05-21-2007, 05:57 PM
Snoopy
been there done that

get a helms manual and oem honda parts
Old 05-21-2007, 05:58 PM
2001TEGGSR

How many miles are on the car?

Helms is by far the best manual to use for your car, especially if you plan on doing alot of maintenance. Usually is a special order item, but I think theres a link in the Integra FAQ to download it in PDF format. Or you could get by with a Haynes or Chiltens, sold at Autozone, Advanced Auto, etc.

You'll need a head gasket, Valve cover gasket, exhaust manifold gasket, Exhaust manifold to cat doughnut gasket, intake manifold gasket, throttle body gasket (if you plan on removing the TB)

If it has not been done recently, I would also do the timing belt, water pump, tensioner & spring, cam oil seals, cam plug, and distributor O-Ring. If you have access to a valve spring compressor you might as well do the valve stem seals too.

If you want to make it easier on yourself, just purchase a "top end" gasket kit and "timing belt kit" from your local dealer.

It depends on how much you want to spend, really. While your doing this you can also replace the oil pump, oil pan gasket and pickup gasket, etc.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:38 PM
angelgabe
Do-It-Yourselfer

Originally Posted by 2001TEGGSR
How many miles are on the car?

Helms is by far the best manual to use for your car, especially if you plan on doing alot of maintenance. Usually is a special order item, but I think theres a link in the Integra FAQ to download it in PDF format. Or you could get by with a Haynes or Chiltens, sold at Autozone, Advanced Auto, etc.

You'll need a head gasket, Valve cover gasket, exhaust manifold gasket, Exhaust manifold to cat doughnut gasket, intake manifold gasket, throttle body gasket (if you plan on removing the TB)

If it has not been done recently, I would also do the timing belt, water pump, tensioner & spring, cam oil seals, cam plug, and distributor O-Ring. If you have access to a valve spring compressor you might as well do the valve stem seals too.

If you want to make it easier on yourself, just purchase a "top end" gasket kit and "timing belt kit" from your local dealer.

It depends on how much you want to spend, really. While your doing this you can also replace the oil pump, oil pan gasket and pickup gasket, etc.
The Timing belt and water pump were done about two months ago. The car has 181000 miles. Are all of these parts easily accessable while I'm changing the head gasket? I'm really trying to avoid taking more of the engine apart than I need to and things like the throttle body and oil pump seem like a bit much. I just want to fix the head gasket and anything else that I can get to while the thing is open. Also, if someone could link me to the pdf of the helmes guide, that would be awesome.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:33 PM
lazieb29

get a felpro gasket set for about 80 bucks.. good brand and I'm sure it will be much cheaper than oem parts.

are you sure its the head gasket tho?
Old 05-22-2007, 07:58 AM
2001TEGGSR

Just get the head gasket, Valve cover gasket, exhaust manifold gasket, Exhaust manifold to cat doughnut gasket and intake manifold gasket then.

Heres the shop manuals, you have to register first but its easy. http://www.hondahookup.com/manuals/