Notices

Vibration after new clutch install

Old 03-03-2007, 09:38 PM
WhiteGhost

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration after new clutch install

I just installed 6 puck clutch with Fidanza 7.5lb Flywheel and the car vibrates violently when taking off in first gear and vibrates a little in second gear. Is that normal? Although, i try to eliminate the vibration by launching on higher rpm. I only did about 50 miles after the install and my car is not boosted yet, but soon to be.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:40 AM
WhiteGhost

Another problem! When i start up the car i hear like a squeaking noise for few seconds and then it goes away. Although, it only happens when the car is cold and all belts were replaced 3k miles ago. Could it be the lightweight flywheel?
Old 03-05-2007, 03:41 AM
teg92
WHAT OK YEAH!

did you replace the bearings?
Old 03-05-2007, 04:27 AM
WhiteGhost

Originally Posted by teg92
did you replace the bearings?
Yup, new clutch with new bearings. I am sure the cause is either from the clutch or the flywheel as it occured 2 days after the install.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:25 AM
Jan Niemi

Does the car vibrate in neutral?
Old 03-05-2007, 12:01 PM
ADRONICUS
www.ufc.com

Vibration like that is NOT normal. Sounds like something may be warped or not seated properly. Did you say you launced already? Not smart w/a new clutch...The squeek you hear could very well be the bearing in the center of the flywheel. The pilot bearing I believe. The noise is deceptive and sounds like belts but it is not.
Old 03-05-2007, 04:12 PM
HatchVX
Driving a Turbo 2L Terror

For the vibration, it sounds like you either A: over/under tighten the clutch, or B: put it on wrong and is not sitting flat, Did u lube up any of the bearing mating surfaces?
Old 03-05-2007, 08:55 PM
WhiteGhost

Well, the vibration only happens in 1st gear when i take off now but when i gas it a little bit like at 3k rpm the vibration almost gone. But, since i've only done 150 miles so far on the new clutch, things are pretty much getting better. Is it because the clutch hasn't been broken in yet? Because every day now i feel the take off is improving (less vibration). About the noise, I had the hood open while my friend start up the car, the noise was coming from the belts!! It squeaks for few seconds and it goes away! I replaced all belts about 3k miles ago!!
Old 03-06-2007, 06:41 AM
Jan Niemi

Originally Posted by WhiteGhost
Well, the vibration only happens in 1st gear when i take off now but when i gas it a little bit like at 3k rpm the vibration almost gone. But, since i've only done 150 miles so far on the new clutch, things are pretty much getting better. Is it because the clutch hasn't been broken in yet? Because every day now i feel the take off is improving (less vibration). About the noise, I had the hood open while my friend start up the car, the noise was coming from the belts!! It squeaks for few seconds and it goes away! I replaced all belts about 3k miles ago!!
Ok..there's a difference between a NOISE and a VIBRATION...

if it's a vibration while the car is in motion that wasn't there before you did the clutch job, then there are only a few things you could have screwed up during the clutch install. I'd suspect improper torque on the pressure plate bolts. If the flywheel was removed for resurfacing (which is the only right way to do a clutch job), then I'd also make sure the flywheel bolts are evenly torqued.

EDIT: I see you have the Fidanza unit...same applies..bolts must be evenly torqued

Last edited by Jan Niemi; 03-06-2007 at 01:04 PM. Reason: mis read
Old 03-06-2007, 08:31 AM
your daddy
Post Whore

Originally Posted by WhiteGhost
I just installed 6 puck clutch with Fidanza 7.5lb Flywheel and the car vibrates violently when taking off in first gear and vibrates a little in second gear. Is that normal? Although, i try to eliminate the vibration by launching on higher rpm. I only did about 50 miles after the install and my car is not boosted yet, but soon to be.
It is vibrating because you are using a 6 puck clutch, it will get better the more miles you put on the new clutch. What type of pressure plate are you using? I would suggest to wait the 500 - 1000 mile break-in period before really getting on it.