Notices

Turbo horsepower question...

Old 01-17-2007, 07:37 AM
Rooftop voter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo horsepower question...

I just took my car to get dyno tuned with hondata s200 yesterday. I was making 200 whp and 189 lbs with a b18b at 10 psi on a turbonetics t3/t4 on a dyno jet. I've been reading around and it seems that other people are making more horsepower and torque at the same psi with the same turbo. It looks like it should be in about the 235-250 range. Does this sound right, and if so, what could be the problem? Everyone says it's all in the tuning, should I take it to be retuned? My boost guage says I'm getting the full 10 psi, but I'm gonna check for any leaks anywhere, but I don't think I've got any. Any advice?
Old 01-17-2007, 08:14 AM
primetime

Originally Posted by Rooftop voter
I just took my car to get dyno tuned with hondata s200 yesterday. I was making 200 whp and 189 lbs with a b18b at 10 psi on a turbonetics t3/t4 on a dyno jet. I've been reading around and it seems that other people are making more horsepower and torque at the same psi with the same turbo. It looks like it should be in about the 235-250 range. Does this sound right, and if so, what could be the problem? Everyone says it's all in the tuning, should I take it to be retuned? My boost guage says I'm getting the full 10 psi, but I'm gonna check for any leaks anywhere, but I don't think I've got any. Any advice?
besides checking for leaks, check to see what are some of the other mods that they may have done to the motor, i.e. exhaust size, injector size, piston size etc. etc. just because you're running the same boost with the same turbo kit doesn't mean you're going to get the same results!!
Old 01-17-2007, 08:22 AM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

List the rest of your mods. Those numbers do sound low.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:23 AM
Rooftop voter

AEM Fuel rail
AEM adjustable FPR
Walbro 255 fuel pump
tunner toys 550 cc injectors
Hondata s200 with boost

It was a full turbonetics kit so it came with an intercooler, piping, evolution wastegate, raptor BOV, etc.
Haven't put in the new clutch, to maybe it was slipping? (although I didn't feel it)?

They said it was on a stock block. Dyno maybe off??

Last edited by Rooftop voter; 01-17-2007 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Hit the button on accident
Old 01-17-2007, 08:28 AM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

I am more interested in downpipe/exhaust setup. Do you also have a dyno chart? Maybe the tuner is incompetent.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:35 AM
Rooftop voter

I do have a chart, but I don't have it with me right now. That's what I was thinking too, because I have a 2.5 inch downpipe, going to a 2 inch pipe back to the muffler where it's 2.5 flowmaster. I am going to change the rest of the piping when I got a little more cash. The storys I read of people making more HP than me said they did it with everything else stock, but I suppose they could have meant with the motor itself, and not the exhaust. I got it tuned at a place called turbo tune here in Greensboro N.C. He seemed to know what he was doing, but I don't know if he gave me a tune that would work, or a real johnny on the spot tune.

Last edited by Rooftop voter; 01-17-2007 at 08:39 AM.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:06 AM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

That exhaust setup is killing your power.

Another possibility is poor engine health. Was a compression test run before and after installing the turbo? Poor compression numbers could lead to poor power numbers.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:22 AM
Snoopy
been there done that

a dyno chart with a/f graphs would be very helpful
Old 01-17-2007, 05:59 PM
Rooftop voter

Yeah, I had good compression numbers accross the board. I will try to put the dyno chart up on Saturday.
Old 01-20-2007, 03:42 PM
Rooftop voter

Sorry, I haven't been able to put up the graph, but I checked all the piping an no leaks, although I can hear an exhaust leak but I don't know where it's comming from. Anyway better way to tell were the exhaust is leaking from besides trying to see or hear it? Would that have any effect on the horsepower? I wouldn't think so since the boost guage says I'm getting the full amount? I'm gonna get a bigger exhaust, but anyone have any other suggestions?