Notices

throwing a 17 for VSS help

Old 01-16-2007, 01:47 AM
TegXPro92

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default throwing a 17 for VSS help

i had recently pulled out the transmission on my 92 teg RS B18A1
and when i put it back in, the speedometer is not working and am now throwing a 17, i have an actual speed cable not thoes nifty eletric ones, any ideas, i tried wiggling it to seat it maybe, that didnt help when i spin the gear by hand i can see the speedometer move a little bit,or maybe its me because i want it to work, any help at all?
thanks
Old 01-20-2007, 06:57 PM
Phantomhatch

This is what i would do

-- first thing i would get a wiring chart for the ecu and see what pin the VSS goes in to then get a Volt meter and have someone ride with you and see if shows and pulse there should be 4 pulses per rotation. if there is not a pulse

-- next thing to do is on the back of your cluster there is two screws under the speedocable one has a + and other has a - put it on the + this might be alittle weird and be safe have someone drive the car and hold it on there an see if it pulses if not sounds like a problem in the speedo cluter its self if i am not mistaken thats wher the ecu gets the VSS pulse from

- i had a crx and had the same problem and it was my cluster cause i was using the VSS to engauge Vtec when i did a SOHC vtec swap.

just my thoughts hope they help
Old 01-21-2007, 03:10 PM
TegXPro92

well my speedo was not working at all after i pulled the tranny, but i got it working again, when i dropped the trany i forgot the speed sensor was still i n there, so the trany was half out before i relized it, but qicly removed it, i figured no harm no foul, so when i got my tranny back in i was suprized to see it not working, so then i tested the VSS worked fine, then the cable, worked fine, so to folow the natural progression, the next logicical step was to check the gauge cluster, i pulled it out and saw that the speedo cable was yanked out of the crimped coupler, no harm no foul, yea right, so i stuck a screw driver in ther to widen it and recrimped it put it on and worked great, but i still have to reset the ECU and see if im still done with the code 17, thanks for the help though